1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp Install Kit Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rod11, May 6, 2009.

1. May 6, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
  2. May 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Anything over about 500wrms I would suggest 4g. What does this amp do in power?

3. May 6, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    55x4 plus 200x1 RMS

4. May 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    4awg is pretty easy to obtain and run without much difficulty. I'd recommend it, and my favorite place to order wire and other electrical accessories is www.knukonceptz.com cheezy name, but he sells good quality stuff at a very reasonable price.

5. May 6, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
  6. May 6, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    That kit only has 1 RCA so you would need 2 more of those and also more speaker wire. BTW, if you have a Walmart around you may want to take a look there as the last time I was at mine they had Scosche wiring kits very reasonably priced. :)

7. May 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    So I need 3 RCA's total...1 for the front speakers, 1 for the rear speakers and 1 for the sub?

8. May 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Yes or you could use a single 6 channel RCA since you only have the one amp. :)

9. May 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
  10. May 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The next step up is solid copper. I don't think there is much difference unless you are getting close to the ampacity of CCA, which, by my calcs, you aren't.

Marv is correct, Walmart does sell some very good priced amp kits. I will not recommend Walmart, because I refuse to shop there. But there is nothing wrong the with Scosche kits they sell.

He is also correct in his point that you will be in need of additional RCA cables. Knukoncept has those, but you can probably find some locally for about the same price and not have to wait for shipping.

11. May 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I talked to someone at Hifonics and he suggested that I would only need 2 RCA's since I'm running the amp with my factory head unit and it doesn't have a sub outlet. He said by switching the amp to 4 channel mode it would power the sub by combining channels 3 and 4. I asked if this would mean less power from the amp and he said no. Sounds basically like bridging a 4 channel amp to power 5 speakers to me, which kills the advantage of having a 5 channel amp.

So now I'm wondering...if I've only got 4 channels coming out of my radio, how am I supposed to utilize the 5th channel of the amp and power my sub without bridging? Is my only choice an aftermarket HU with a separate channel for a sub???

12. May 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Hey Rod..that amp has 2 channel, 4 channel or 5 channel input capabilities. If you use only 2 channels of input all 5 channels will get their signals from the 2 channels but you cannot control each channel separately from the headunit. If you use 4 channels of input you will have front/rear fader capabilities however since the sub will get its signal from channels 3/4 (signal only, not power so it's different than bridging) it's level will be controlled by the fader along with the rear speakers.

Since the amp does not have a remote level control and you only have 4 channels of output you have a coupole of options..... run the front 2 channels from the headunit to channels 1/2 (front) and 3/4 (rear) using a y connector. Then connect the rear output from the headunit directly to the sub input on the amp. This way you will have separate control of the bass level from the headunit however you will not be able to fade front/rear (most people set and forget the rears anyway so this shouldn't be a problem).

The other option as I mentioned in the PM would be to run the front output to channels 1/2 and use a y connector to the sub channel with an inline level control and run the rear output to 3/4. This way you will have front/rear fader capabilities from the headunit and a separate bass level control (you'd have to find a place for the remote knob). Hope that made sense and if not give me a holler! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top