1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding a 5ch amp and sub to factory headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Zfinger, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    Zfinger

Zfinger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colorado
    The factory stereo in my 2012 TRD Sport is garbage and I blew the rear speakers 10 minutes after picking up the truck. I decided to put my old stereo in and make some upgrades. I'm disconnecting the rear speakers in the headliner, putting components in the doors, the sub and amp behind the drivers seat, and some marine speakers in the bed, switched for tailgating.

So far I've run the power wire, ground, remote, and ran 2 sets of speaker wires up to the dash. The 4ch high/low level converter just came in, and I'm waiting on the RCA's to show up. Sub has quick disconnects so I can take it out if I need the space. Throw a towel over the amp if some needs to sit there (highly unlikely).

I'll update more once I wire the dash and put the speakers in the bed. If people want it I can make a how-to.

y4eje8ab_5e8cf50f04302ef1df3c73e1bd5f2a5fc6f15a26.jpg

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'd maybe think about getting the sub box off the amp. For many reasons.

Also mount that sub!

3. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Zfinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colorado
    No thanks. That box has sat over that amp for years at a time and never overheated. Also the back of my seat holds the box in place, it's not going anywhere and I want it easily removable. I've had this gears since 2004 and swapped it through at least 6 cars now.

4. Oct 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    :rofl: no thanks.

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Zfinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colorado
    That was in reference to the wiring portion of it. I worked as an installer for a few years and have done a few hundred stereos, adding a 5ch amp and components to a factory unit can be confusing for some who's new to it. This obviously isn't my cleanest install but it does what I want, went in real easy and comes out the same. It's a work truck, I don't have the time or need to build a custom box and spend hours doing fiberglass work.

If you need help with stereo wiring feel free to PM me, I'm willing to help.

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    MTBerJim

MTBerJim You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!

Member:
    Long Island, NY.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 2.7, Auto, 4x4
    Original
    All I had to read was this.
    Then saw this.
    I'll pass on this

7. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Zfinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colorado
    Haters gonna hate. The wires are run clean, everything's tucked and hidden, and it cost me next to nothing for the high/low level converter and RCA's. It fits where it is and I didn't have to lose a seat or cut-up/drill anything visible on my interior. When the truck sells later in life, no one will know the stereo was there. To each their own I guess.

8. Oct 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    To each their own. You stated you blew the factory speakers in the first 10 minutes... thats a pretty amazing feat right there... tells us you don't really care about your equipment. I'm sure your sub does the job, but its hardly an install worthy of a writeup. Anyone can go to best buy, get a 20 dollar box and throw it behind their seat. Personally, I'm not hatin, just stating why you're getting such a reaction. Very few people buy a vehicle with 4 seats, only to fill 2 of them with speakers.

9. Oct 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Beach Taco

Beach Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint
  10. Oct 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    But... I see many wires, and you did lose a seat. I can't tell if you're lying to yourself or the people on this forum, but an experienced installer who has done "hundreds of stereos" could probably think of a way to install such a basic setup with a little more class and stealth involved.

11. Oct 25, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Zfinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Colorado
    I do care about my equipment, that why it's lasted through 6 cars and 8-9 years. I did installs 04'-05' before college, easily 200+ sub/amp/headunit/wiring installs. Theres no better spot for the amp. I don't want it on the back wall of the cab, it won't fit under the front seats, I'm not removing any consoles or rear seats... So the floor will have to do. Also, not wal-mart gear. It's an Eclipse 5-ch amp and a Directed CompX sub.

There are plenty of posts out there with people complaining of the rear speakers in the access cab (tiny and above the headliner, not in the doors anymore). So blowing them in 10 minutes wasn't hard, 3/4 volume and a few clicks up on the bass and they were done. I know the sub and amp location aren't anything special or fancy, I don't expect anyone to be impressed with that. The help I'm offering is with the wiring portion of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top