1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership oil change... advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Madcat207, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Madcat207

Madcat207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed Sport
    So, having bought my 08 around 3 months ago, my oil change time has come. Now part of the deal was free SYNTHETIC oil changes for two years, problem is , I don't really trust dealerships. Hence, I am looking for advice :

I know where to check the oil filter, but is there anything else I should inspect manuallly?

They agreed to do the better synthetic, but I am not sure I trust them to put it in (vs the cheap stuff). Has anyone actually heard of going back with the vehicle and watching? I have thought of asking to do it, under the guise of learning more about my truck.. but I am not sure it would fly....

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle:
    Tonka
    I think your only option for figuring out what oil they put in it would be to do an oil analysis on it once its old. In fact, the dealership is surely purchasing oil in drums, which are probably not marked in any way that you'll be able to read. Truth is, however, that you shouldn't worry too much about it. If they put in recycled mineral oil, it will still satisfy your engine's lubrication requirements and won't lead to premature failure as long as the changes are done at reasonable intervals. Once you're through with the 2 years worth of changes and doing your own oil changes, then you can control what oil goes into it and can be as anal about it as makes you happy.

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    Toyota wont let you go with the truck because they have strict insurance policies. Just take the 2 years free and then do it yourself! Very easy to do and even easier to work on.

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Fair enough...Any other qc checks I should do, and or is checking the filter good enough?

Btw, and no objections to changing it myself, I but when it is free for two years, and hard not to take them up on it...

5. Oct 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    When I get home after each dealer oil change I take a screwdriver and mark the top of my filter with the mileage (5k, 10k, 14k, etc) so knowing they changed my filter is pretty easy. If I were you, I'd mark your current oil filter. I also check the lugs on each tire just to make sure they are tight after reading a story on TW where a guy's tire nearly fell off.

6. Oct 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    It is sad to hear about so many people who have had problems with dealerships. I spent 20 years in different shops and I always made sure me and my techs did quality work. I even made it a requirement that I QC test drive all repairs.

7. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Mark the filter before coming in and check the oil level before you leave.

8. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Take the freebies....

Just like someone else said...mark the filter (to ensure they actually changed it). Check the color of your fluid before going in....and check the color of the fluid when you get it back home. It should be dark before and light after. Check the fluid levels and also check the drain plug to make sure its tight. Overall...check for leaks.

9. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I write on mine for my own reference because I go over 5k in the summer and under 5k in the winter

[​IMG]

10. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Great advice guys, thanks!

The reason I distrust deal ships, and is that I had two tell me that my CEL was caused by my catalytic converter, and when actually the head gasket was going... I found out after my gasket went (and had to buy a new engine.....) ;) that there was a notice (but not recall) ;) talking about this problem that was valid when I had taken it in, and and Toyota would have picked up the repair. But since the mechanics didn't actually check anything, but the problem was allowed to get worse..

11. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'd take advantage of the free oil changes and have them do it for the 2 years. Not saying it wouldnt happen but its pretty hard to screw up an oil change especially if its at a dealership....but again, not saying nothing wrong would happen.

12. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.

I had a warranty battery changed at a dealership two weeks ago and they screwed that up. They put the wrong battery tie down clamp which was much bigger not allowing me access to the over flow coolant bottle and their tech flat out lied and said that's how the car came in when I know it didn't since I had to jump start just to get it going. Thanks Community Honda of Whittier. :D

13. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    Its sad that we cant trust a dealership, with "certified" technicians who sell/maintain the same vehicles on a daily basis, to do a simple oil service correctly without either messing up or intentionally screwing us over. Sad, sad, sad.

14. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    There was just an article on Yahoo about this Camaro owner placing a recorder in his car because he suspected the service department was screwing him and he recorded the so called techs doing three burnouts and saying something about messing up his clutch and that they're gonna make him pay big bucks, etc...

So yes, it is a shame that we cannot trust a dealership and their trusted techs though it forces some of us to learn and do our own maintenance and repairs and pity to those who do get screwed over by shady dealerships and repair shops. So hard to find a good, honest mechanic...

15. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Brianz1001

Brianz1001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Retired on my couch with a cold beer in my hand
    too much to type
    I worked in a few dealerships before opening my own garage, listen the bad work you are talking about is sometimes the mechanic, not the dealership. Alot of guys don't care, they get paid on piece work not flat rate. Not making excuses for any dealership, but if they screw up get them to fix it and don't go back.

If you do it's your own fault next time. You never know who is going to work on your truck. your better off if you can't do it yourself, find a good local garage and make a relationship with them, so you know what your getting.
    Just my 2cents...

16. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    I got the 2 year free oil changes with the purchase of my truck. Reasons I chose to do the OC's my self:

1. I did it correctly
    2. Used the oil I wanted to use
    3. Dont have to sit and wait
    4. Don't have to worry about truck being damaged
    Drum roll.......
    5. The oil change was actually done

17. Oct 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    So, I am here at the dealership, just waiting for the truck to get washed.

The nice thing is, the service bays have a viewing area, so I was able to watch everything they did to my truck (pretty much) . Here are my on the fly notes of the step by step of what I saw...
    Truck pulled into bay
    Hood raised
    Truck lifted
    Tires were inspected and air checked /refilled
    Oil drained
    Undercarriage inspection
    Grease gun applied grease to locations under truck (near axles) front and back
    Tire lugs removed
    Tires removed and rotated (sides stayed the same, but front and back moved)
    tire lugs placed by hand
    Tire lugs airgun tightened
    Truck lowered
    tire lugs tighter by manual wrench
    Tech went to the back, got what looks like an oil filter box
    Tech spotted holding large jug, grey looks like mobile 1
    Hood closed.

The ONLY THING I could not see was the actual oils going in, due to a 4 runner being in the bay next to mine.

Now, I took advice, and marked my old filter, and meeting note of the color of my old oil, so will be able to know if new oils went in.. ill update in a few..

18. Oct 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.

True, there's good mechanics out there and like I said, they are hard to find.

19. Oct 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've never seen a dealership service bay that can be viewed. Usually they are in the back out of sight. Looks like you found yourself a good dealership from the description of what you've seen though that's only one tech that you've seen. Good thing you can watch them then.

20. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Aye.. i wasn't expecting it either.. but sure enough, the whole wall leading to the lobby is open, and you can watch the entire place; yes, the back bays are blocked mostly by the middle row, but thankfully that is where the service was.

Anyway, the oil is listed as Synpower 0w20, and does look like the bottle i saw. I checked, and the oil is a nice clear amber, and the filter is different.

Chalk one up for a good technician.. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top