1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen headlights and FXR Projector Help Thread

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Conman117, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 [OP] AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Hey guys, I figured I'd start a thread for people wanting help with projector retros in 1st gen headlights (or any I guess).
    I didn't take pictures during the retro, but I'll do the best I can.
    Also you should read The Retrofit Source's guide to get an understanding of what I'm talking about.

First, taking apart the headlights.
    You have to take the adjustment screws off and pry the ball joint apart to get the back of the headlights off.
    Here's what the adjustment screws look like on my headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are little tabs on the end of the screws that have to be pushed in, allowing the screws to come out. Then stick a flathead screwdriver right next to the balljoint and pry it out. The closer you can get to the joint the better.

Then to take the lens off the reflector bowl, you need to take all the clips off the edge.

[​IMG]

Then put it in the oven for 5 minutes at 220 *F (TRS recommends 265 but 220 worked for me) though it may need to be in longer depending on the type of glue.
    Use a flathead screwdriver to pry the lens off the reflector bowl. Try to start in the biggest gap you can find.

Set up somewhere with some room and mark where the stock bulbs shine (as explained in the TRS write-up).

Then you can unscrew the little reflector cap in the center. It is now useless. Then start cutting away the back of the housing. I used a drill to do most of the primary cutting in the shape I wanted, the went and snipped/sawed between all the holes. Heres pics to get an idea of where and how big to make the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You always want to have a smaller hole than you need. You can then dremmel out the hole slowly to get the best fit. The smaller the gap, the easier the gluing.

**Make sure the shroud fits over the projector before you glue it in**
    Its way easier to fit the shroud when its not in the bowl.
    The Gatling shrouds are a PITA to fit over the FXR's to the depth that I went. If you want help with that, just ask but I'll leave it out for now.

Once the projector fits, you need to line it up with the original mark on the wall from the stock bulb. I have to cut more away to line it up right.
    Heres the projector sticking through the housing where I trimmed it more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also depends on where your shroud lines up. I set mine where I wanted them and then set the projector depth accordingly.
    Once you are happy with the depth and aiming, you can tack it in place.
    **Make sure the projector housing is very clean or else your glue won't stick**
    I used 2-part epoxy and even the small bit I used seems pretty permanent. You should fill the gap but heres how much I used to tack it, and its pretty solid.

[​IMG]

That bit of shiny glue. I put it at 4 points around the projector and held it where I wanted it as it set (a couple minutes).
    Make sure you use glue on both sides of the housing, in the back and in the bowl. There are also screw holes which are very nice.
    Then glue your halos/centering rings to the shrouds. Put the glue on the projector housing where the ring will contact, NOT on the ring, as you will smear glue on the lens.

Some trimming may be required to fit the shroud. I was happy with mine but it will depend on the shroud/housing.

Once that is all set, make sure the projectors still point in the right place, then its time to put the clear lenses back on the housings. I put them in the over at 220 for 5 minutes, but again, it may vary.
    Once the clear les is back on, you can still adjust the projectors from the back if you really need to. You could cut the tacks and readjust the height, but I tried to cut/snip/saw my epoxy tacks and it is TOUGH stuff, so this is a last resort.

Reassemble the back plates by popping the ball joint and clips back into place, and you should have a pair of sweet headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is a help thread, so feel free to ask questions and/or give advice.
    If anyone wants to add to what I've said, the more info the better.

I used FXR projectors with Gatling shrouds, so if you have different projectors, don't cut the same size hole as me:p

2. Oct 23, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Make more and sell me a set.

3. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    aparks18

aparks18 Active Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2000 3.4 5spd TRD
    looks good. I'm doing the fxrs on mine also, but I used screws to mount them.

4. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Conman117

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    PM'ed

Yeah thats good to put screws in. I didn't/forgot to, but screws will definitely be solid.

5. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Doa52

Doa52 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nashville Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2004 trd extended cab
    Stock with grey wire mod, removed mud flaps

How much would you charge to make a set?

6. Apr 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Conman117

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    I'm not making these right now, I'm finishing up the school semester.
    But when summer comes I might be able to make some pairs.
    I'll PM you stuff.

7. May 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    what is the difference between the fxr vs h1 vs ds2?

8. Dec 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    Conman117

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    They're fine. Not that i see much desert exactly, but they're still solid.

Products Discussed in

To Top