1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Base model.....convenience pkg....tow pkg....WTF??!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Plain Taco, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Oct 23, 2012 at 3:16 AM
    Plain Taco

Plain Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    This is my first post. :)

Looking at my dealers lot yesterday I noticed that the rear springs of the non tow pkg Tacos were still the weak three spring packs while the ones with the tow had the 4 pack. HUH? My 07 has the spring tsb done over 5 years ago!!! I kind of thought this problem would have been corrected by now. :eek:

Anyways "Buyatoyota.com" wont let me build a base model with conveneince and tow pkg. Is this available?

Thanks for help.

2. Oct 23, 2012 at 3:45 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I'm sure Toyota has done a study on the cost efectiveness of including the 4 leaf pack with all models. Likely there is so few people that actually request it, that it's just cheaper to continue using the same crappy 3 leaf ones.

3. Oct 23, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    photonashville

photonashville Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4x4 long bed with Leer
    It was posted in another thread, a quote from Toyota's Facebook account in response to a question that 3 leaf packs as of 2012 are different and improved from the 3 leaf packs from previous years.

4. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I have a 12' base, it has Tow Pak and Convenience packages. 4 leafs in the back. can be done.

5. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    I also want a Base with convenience pkg. and can't build with tow pkg., only the tow hitch receiver. I'm going to order the truck so I will ask the dealer and see if it's possible.

B737 are you sure you have the pkg. with trans. cooler, hd alternator, etc. and not just the hitch?

When I try to build, it says you have to have SR5 or OR to add Tow Pkg.

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
  7. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    i am sure. i have the upgraded alternator, cooler, trailer wiring and all. i have power everything and cruise control. so it most def can be done.

btw, my truck was 22k, there are guys selling asking more money for used ones! i had my dealer ditch the steel wheels and give me OR wheels as apart of the deal. hopefully you can get a great deal on your 13'.

8. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    This, most Tacomas in cities never leave the pavement or have anything aside from groceries and bicycles thrown in the bed, plus the 3 pack has a cushy ride to boot. The reason that the tow package isn't available on the base models is they are 4 bangers I think. It is counter-able though, I just bought the hitch and wiring harness from Toyota and installed the towing package in mine one afternoon. You don't really need the bigger battery or alternator because the 4 banger likely won't be towing anything with that many lights on it to need the extra voltage.

9. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    ^ incorrect. tow package + power everything is available on base models. good question about the 4cy vs 6cy though...

also the ride with the 4 leafs on my base is not stiff. i would compare it to a Ford Explorer. far too soft for some hard core guys here. but for my beach / highway buggy its perfect. the ride in my ford ranger was much stiffer than this truck (it sucked).

10. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Dude, you want to help me negotiate? 22k is an unreal deal with convenience pkg and V6.
    For a 2013 base V6, convenience, drop hitch receiver MSRP is 28k

11. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    my 12' had 1,200 miles on it so technically it was 'used'. i just totally lucked out. but i do get a real kick out of some of the asking prices these guys ask for. there are deals to be had out there.

12. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Welcome! When you enter a zip code, Toyota's online "build & price" tool will filter out configurations that are not in stock in your region. It's better to ask your dealer. They can special order or arrange a trade with another dealer, though this may be expensive than an SR5 currently on the dealer's lot.

13. Oct 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Plain Taco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    I live in Vermont (close to NH where my dealer is). I haven't called my dealer yet because I'm in the very early going on my trade decision and I don't want the daily phone calls.

I'ts disappointing that the spring issue still exists unless you buy the tow package. I tow both a cargo trailer and a camper (not at the same time ;)) and want the tow pkg along with power windows and locks. I have no need for the other things offered on the SR5 and I prefer the black fenders like on my current Taco.

I had the tsb on the springs done within a week of purchasing my Taco back in May of '07. I was hauling a decent sized load in my trailer up I-91 and I was very concerned about the sway of my trailer as well as the back end sagging and hitting the bump-stops so easily. I couldn't believe it when I saw those same cheesy springs on the non-tow Tacos.

Anyways, what I am looking for is a base model, access cabm 4x4m v6m auto with tow and convenience pkg in the dark green. Do they exist at all or just not here in New England?

14. Oct 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    VT requires no permit to concealed-carry. :thumbsup:

I put in a Boston zip code and it gives the config you want:

[​IMG]

Note the difference between that and SR5 with tow is only about $800, which can get eaten up very quickly in the negotiations if the dealer has an SR5 in stock but has to special-order your truck.

15. Oct 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    Plain Taco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Yeah, I know the SR5 is not much more. I just don't like to have to pay for things I don't want/need. :)

I also understand that at resale time it might be better to have an SR5 than a base with convenience and tow. Plenty to ponder. Thanks again!

16. Oct 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Plain Taco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    I just tried the "build" thing again and entered my zip. It gave me the convenience pkg which also includes the tow. ( I know I'm not crazy. It wasn't there last week)

It seems like a lot included for $1,600 making it a pretty good value, I think. Thoughts?

17. Oct 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    Sure. Compared to SR5 with tow pkg, you are missing the backup camera and variable intermittent wipers, both of which you can install yourself if needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top