1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

camper shell with racks..

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by meaker, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    meaker

meaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    04 crewcab prerunner
    Hey everyone I new here. I just pick up a crewcab and was going to put a shell on it with rack. Question I have is how hard is it to put a bike up on the top roof rack? So do you keep a step stool with you are just stand on the running boards?

Another quick question, if you have just the channels installed on the shell for a rack will Thule and Yakima work? OR are the brand specific?

2. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    i cant really speak for either because i dont have a rack, but i can say it would probably be a pain over the shell. when i wash my truck i have a hell of a time scrubbing the roof of my shell. over the cab i just stand on my sliders but for the top of the shell i have to stand on top of my wheel. i am 6'6" so its not because im a little guy either...

3. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    tacoroad

tacoroad Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
  4. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    I have one of these, but I rarely use it. I usually just step on top of the rear tire to put the bike on the rack.
    [​IMG]

5. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have a rack on my shell. a yakima. now i just run a canoe up there, or lumber.

bikes, i hated. i have the bike racks that i take off my front tire and lock the front fork into the not so quick release. balancing on a tire, lifting a bike, getting the front fork into the release, tightening/loosening the damn thing..you will eventually need two hands working the bike issue.

forget it. i put i on my wife subaru. with feet planted on terra firma..i still barely like it. i am going to get a hitch mount.

for now, i roll the subaru.

6. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Thule & Takima feet/towers will both work with the tracks (channels). The tracks are actually identical and made by the same company.

7. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Hitch mount for bike is great unless you are towing something. The roof if fine for a boat since you can lead one end at a time can be awkward for a bike.

Beware of scratching gate if bike hitch or kayak telegraph pole is in the hitch.

8. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    meaker

meaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    04 crewcab prerunner
    Thanks everyone for the info. I was hoping more would chime in who have bike racks on the roof. I'll still up in the air on what I'm going to do. I thought of going with a tonneau but worried I wont have much space and if being a shirt bed that the bike rack would come close to hitting the rear glass..

Products Discussed in

To Top