1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flood in my Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grey Jay, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Oct 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Grey Jay

Grey Jay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    So after the rain today in Sudbury, there is a small flood on my passenger side coming from my HVAC. Is there a drain somewhere in there that I can get to? I assume its plugged with rhubarb from the pine tree I park under.

Any tips?

Cheers

2. Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Ya look for it inside the engine bay, on the firewall towards the passenger side down low, there should be a tube coming out, make sure its not clogged

3. Oct 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Hey man..... if you park under a pine tree you gotta do this.... This has nothing to do with your current issue, I don't think, but it will rot yer truck if'n you don't clean it....

Open one of the front doors.....look way down at the bottom of the fender in front of the door.....you should see a piece of rubber filling a gap between the body panel and the fender panel..... Lift this rubber from the bottom and use a flashlight to see what's in there....(It should be clean and empty)...

I guarantee that it's plugged with pine needles and other crap..... Just take a garden hose and blast that crap outta there.... then do the other side.....

Your fender will rot off if you do not do this regularly.....

The junk works it's way down there from around your wipers.....

Do you understand what I'm taliking about?.... If not maybe i CAN TAKE A PIC OR 2...

Over60

PS.... If you haven't yet... clean out your cabin filter also....

4. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM
    Grey Jay

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    I'll take a pick if you can get one easy.

Thanks all for the info.

5. Oct 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Hey WhiskeyJack....

Here's a couple of pics.... the first is with the rubber lifted up. [​IMG]

The second one the rubber in place....[​IMG]

looks like I better listen to my own advice...I've got a few leaves in there right now..... I discovered this little "hidey hole" from someone on this site and cleaned it this year for the first time...I had about 2" of rotting leaves and crud in there... I put the garden hose in and blasted it out....

This is how the water from your windshield drains away....

Hope this helps ya man....

Over60....

6. Oct 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Hey Grey Jay.... Did you find out what caused the flood in your Taco?... I couldn't have been hurricane Sandy, I don't think, as you posted before she made landfall..hehehe

Thanx.... Over60

7. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Grey Jay

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    Didn't get a chance to look yet but I am betting on the plugged drain hose. Too much trick-or-treating so far tonight. No Sandy up here, just crappy weather.

8. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Grey Jay

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    Found the spot by the fender, wasn't too bad. I also found the hose that sticks out of the firewall. Shoved a thing peice of metal in there but it bottomed out not to far in. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks folks

9. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    Keep us posted on what you find.

10. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    OP, do you park your truck on an angle, such that the front passenger side is sloped downwards?

When I do this in heavy winds and driving rain, water seems to enter the opening for my a/c system's fresh air vent. The cabin air filter gets soaked, and water begins to soak the passenger side carpet.

I've tried unblocking the a/c condensate drain hose, and the hose always drips freely.

I found this in my searches for what was going on.

Just an idea.

11. Nov 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    Grey Jay

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    Thanks, my air filter was soaked, just like you said. Usually my truck is parked relatively flat. I can't see these pics on my work computer but I will try and sort it out this weekend finally ( this and an e-brake cable replacemnet).

Were the hell is Belle River Ontario?

Cheers.

12. Nov 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Belle River is about 20 minutes east of Windsor. Good luck with the fix, let us know how you make out.

Products Discussed in

To Top