1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wtf happened to my steering?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HumboldtTaco707, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

HumboldtTaco707 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Dynomax cat-back with super turbo muffler dumped before axle, JBA LT headers, rear fox shocks w/ piggyback, wet okoles, 1 10" square kicker, husky liners, URD short throw, URD maf calibrator
    I cant find a thread that addresses my problem specifically, but today on the way back from school I noticed my steering wheel sits at about 10 o'clock instead of 12 when I'm going straight. I also noticed that after making a turn for more than a couple seconds, or a really sharp turn, my steering wheel kinda sticks in that position and slowly inches its way back to 10 o'clock. Also, when at a stop, I can slowly inch my steering wheel either direction with my wheels barely moving. Whats causing all this play? Worn bushings?? Anyways, heres a pic of my steering wheel:

[​IMG]

2. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Dynomax cat-back with super turbo muffler dumped before axle, JBA LT headers, rear fox shocks w/ piggyback, wet okoles, 1 10" square kicker, husky liners, URD short throw, URD maf calibrator
    And before anyone asks, I haven't hit any big bumps or ditches or anything recently and I just noticed this today.

3. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Alignment, bent steering rods, low fluid, etc.

4. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Sounds like alignment to me but if it happened out of the blue then I'm not real sure. :cool:

5. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    A random failure that big sounds like your rack and pinion maybe. I don't know a lot about these things, but I know if the rack goes bad, the alignment won't hold and road pressure will cause the alignment to consistently change while driving. Not good.

6. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Hmm. I guess ill have it checked out when I take my truck in for the TOB fix. Hope it doesn't get worse before I make it there. This is kind of a dumb question but how would I check my steering rods? I don't know much about the anatomy of our steering rack, sorry :eek:

7. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    That was one of my fears. What happens if it fails?

8. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    You will SHOULD still steering just no power to assist you...

9. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Wait what? Are you saying ill just have no power steering?

10. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    soldierguy

soldierguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab 4X4 V6 6MT
    By any chance did you park it in the morning with your wheels turned so they were sticking out? Any chance that someone parking next to you could have hit a wheel that was sticking out? I'd look closely at the wheels & tires for any signs that someone hit them...marks, scuffs, etc.

11. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    I blew both my inner seals on the rack all fluid leaked out and still drove 75-100 miles home like that.

It sounds like your alignment is out though. And not the rack. :notsure:

12. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Jack up your truck under each lower control arm. Hold the tire by each side and try to wiggle it side to side. If there's play, have some one look at the innner and outer tie rod ends for movement.

13. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Nah I live on a private hill so theres nobody around to hit me lol.

I sure hope so. Maybe just rack bushings?

14. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    soldierguy

soldierguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab 4X4 V6 6MT
    Ok. Your original post made it sound like it was parked at a school all day and you noticed it after you left school. I figured school = parking lot = opportunity for someone to bump your wheels/tires and screw things up.

15. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    Oh I see what your saying, my bad. I dont think I was hit, I parked between two cars that didnt move all day. And I go to a very very small school someone would've told me right away lol

16. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    when was your last alignment? i had a guy align my old truck with the steering wheel crooked and it took me like a day to notice. well i wont lie i noticed as soon as i jumped on the freeway and was pissed but the point is it could happen

17. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    HumboldtTaco707

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Blackout
    About a month or two ago when I replaced my tie rods. I hope its just an alignment issue, but would that explain the steering wheel sticking after turning?

18. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    A comon problem is the the lower steering universal joint(or rag joint).It's located at the steering rack.The poblem is the universal joint rusts and starts binding.If you turn the the wheel to your left and right at idle and you feel the wheel binding the rag joint is most likely the issue.I think toyota calls it the lower steering shaft.

19. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    - Get the alignment checked out.

Before any alignment, the tech should shake the front end down to feel for loose/worn out components. Tie rods are easily felt by raising the front of the vehicle and wiggling the tire(s) back and forth. Everything should be tight and move together.

You drive your truck, so you're used to it. Over time, the aligment goes out and you just kind of get used to it as it slowly gets worse and worse until it gets to a point where you're at.

-You'll notice a total loss of power steering. Be hard as hell to turn the wheel.

-With the inching the steering wheel and the tires barely move, again, not uncommon. Something like what you've done here is called a "dry park test". Usually someone else is under the vehicle while one person lightly moves the steering wheel back and forth a little. Person underneath is looking for bascially a delayed reaction from a steering component, indicates play and a bad part.

20. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Check the steering shaft coming out of the firewall from inside the truck into the engine compartment. Look just under the brake booster, and closer to the engine. There is a coupling /clamp that joins the steering shaft together. It would be very rare for that to come loose, but if it did, you would cause the experience you are describing.

Products Discussed in

To Top