1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exterior bed speakers - Tailgating options

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by packfan88, May 10, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    Hello
    I am looking to put some speakers in the bed of the 2008 Tacoma Double Cab. I do a lot of tailgating and things like that so having some speakers outside the truck will be a lot of fun.

I read a bunch of thread and a few options are there for the bed speakers.

1 - Use the cargo boxes above the wheels.
    2 - Use the cargo boxes with the doors.

Both of those seem like fine options, but i like the extra space they provide for storing tools and straps and such.

I have a different location that would require more advanced installation, but Im game. One is to the left (and right) of the rear storage boxes above the wheel ("x" marks the spot".

[​IMG]

The other is above the rear storage compartment with the door ("x" marks the spot".

[​IMG]

Granted both will reuire cutting into the liner and the bed itself. That doesnt seem to be like such a big deal to me, but if any of you can offer advice that would be great. If anyone has done this before and wants to offer some tricks or tips, that too would be great.

The biggest question I have is this:
    What is behind the metal "inside" the rear fender? Is there any wiring in there? Does anyone have a way of knowing before i drill/cut?

A couple other questions i have are:
    Which speakers?
    Ive read above marine speakers and it seems viable and practical. 6"x9" should be fine correct?

What audio system mods will I have to make?
    Do i need to install an amplifier to the existing factory installed audio system?

What about a toggle switch?
    Can i install a toggle switch to dash to turn them off while not in use?

Im 99% going to take this to a car audio professional for installtion, but having the knowledge before I walk in will certainly same me some money in the end. I dont know if they can tell what wiring (if any) is inside the fender.

Anyway, I look forward to being a new guy here and thank you all for the help Ive gotten over the past few months (reading).

Mike

2. May 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'd recommend against installing them into the bed. I think a better option would be to wire in speaker plugs. That way you can use a bookshelf type speaker in the bed when you are out doing stuff. But when you aren't you can put them in the cab to be protected. Also, it will be easier to wire in the plugs without large holes in your bed. I'd have to think they would be nothing but negitive to any sort of resale value and is just asking for trouble in the long run.

3. May 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
  4. May 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I had a sub box that took up the whole back of my extended cab Ford Ranger. And when I installed it I left an extra 10 ft of cable to the sub box so I could take the box out of my truck when I was on the beach so I could hear it. I think you should do this instead of installing speakers on the outside IMHO. You're just asking to get them stolen... especially since those marine 6x9's can be pretty pricey.
    So basically you could just have a sub box that you can throw into your truck when you go tailgating and then just leave it in your garage when you don't need it.

5. May 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    Please also note that you are talking about a metal "Bed" behind the "Liner". The Liner you speak of is actually the bed. If you don't use your bed for anything other than tailgating type events then it might not be such a problem to cut such large wholes in the side of the bed, but I also agree with the above poster I would install terminals into the bed then you don't have to worry about weather proof speakers. You could then build a Box with AMP and speakers. Its such a good idea I might try it myself.

6. May 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    You cant see it in the picture, but i have the Armor Lid cover over the bed. Having things stolen out of the bed wont be a problem. Besides, if they pry open the cover 6x9's bolted to the side of the bed would be the hardest and least expensive thing to take. The cover itself is more then the cost of a few pairs of speakers :)

The resale value isnt something im worried about either.

I like the toggle switch in the one video. Thats exactly what i was thinking of having put it. Is that your truck or someone elses? Did you put an amp in to power those rear speakers?

I def need a perm solution cause taking speakers in and out of the back isnt something i want to get involved with. They would more then likely spend their entire life installed and would then create a storage problem.

If i drill thru that plastic, i assume i will hit metal. The metal is the bed itself. Is there anything in there like wiring?

7. May 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    There is no metal under the bed. There is metal body panel in the vicinity , but that is the exterior body panel. The truck's metal frame is under the bed, but no metal frame on the sides. There is a couple inch gap between the composite bed and the sheet metal body panels.

8. May 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I would think that the front two storage compartments are the ideal place for this install. YOu already know the depth to work with, and then you could just make a template to fit over the existing hole. You would also have the actual storage cubby to use as a box around the speaker. It would be a cool install, let us know how it goes.

9. May 12, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I would say plugs only & have marine 6x9s to plug in only when you need them & have the switch to turn them on like in the utube vid.

10. May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I like how the guy in the video did it.
    Cutting large holes in the bed might weaken its integrity. since it is the bed, And made of a composite.

Marine speakers for boating n the useless cubbyholes i think are the way to go.
    Like someone said making a template to fit over the holes probably would be best.,

Products Discussed in

To Top