1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Replacement Option for OEM 7-pin Connector?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SManZ, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    What is the best replacement option for the OEM 7-pin connector and harness? Is there a 3rd party plug-n-play harness so I don't have to buy OEM?

My truck got backed into and it bent the bracket that holds the 7-pin connector, and broke the plastic plug housing from the bracket.

This is the OEM harness and plug that I need to replace;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Taco...Parts_Accessories&hash=item416c9224d1&vxp=mtr

I have been looking at these but I'm having trouble verifying that they will actually work;

This one has 2 connectors instead of 4 in the OEM harness
    http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-11143...1352393304&sr=1-2&keywords=toyota+tow+harness

This one has 4 connectors like the OEM harness but I can't tell if they are compatible
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-5TH-WHEE...&fits=Make:Toyota&hash=item2ebdcbaf23&vxp=mtr

-Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    do you really need a 7 pin connector or do you mostly use a 4 pin connector?

A cheaper fix might be to cut off the damaged connector and splice in a 4 pin male.
    [​IMG]

The seven pin is mostly used for trailers with brake assist

3. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Insurance isn't buying you OEM? I went to auto parts store X and got a 7 pin and wired it into the factory plug.

4. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Insurance isn't part of this one. I walk out to my truck one day and my connector is dangling and the bracket is bent. I don't know how long ago, who did it, or even where.

I currently only tow with a 4-pin but would like to retain the 7-pin and brake assist capabilities. There are good possibilities that I'll be renting larger trailers in the near future.

Buying a new 7-pin female plug and splicing it into the OEM harness is an option, but I was looking for a plug and play replacement first. I do a decent job at automotive wiring but my homebrew jobs never last as long as OEM.

5. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    The only plug and play is OEM, and buying from the stealer is way more expensive, just run up to your favorite auto parts store and grab one for 30 bucks, I got one that has the 7 and the 4 built into it, then spliced to the factory harness, worked flawlessly.

6. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Roger that. I think I'll take the bracket off the truck this weekend and see whats salvageable and figure out if it makes sense to hack it up and try splicing in a new plug.

7. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ok...so the connectors in the 7-way plug are fine. Its just the plastic housing and cover thats broken. I see 4 tabs that hold the plug into the housing but I haven't been able to separate the two.

Any reason a 7-way gooseneck extension wouldn't work? I'm thinking I could plug it into my existing plug, seal it into a permanent connection, bundle the excess wiring under the bed, and install the new plug in the existing bracket after I bend it out flat.

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-56080-Go...396&sr=8-1&keywords=gooseneck+extension+7+way

8. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    cdk

cdk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    san angelo,tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TSS
    BruteForceFab rear bumper, Ranch Hand front grille guard w/ led lights, leds here and there, seat covers, dash cover, console and handle covers, weathertechs, upgraded audio system, bed mat
    that should work fine if you make sure the connection is solid.
    might also want to put some dielectric grease in that connection before you seal it up?

Products Discussed in

To Top