1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing LEDs under the dash

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ddogg, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Nov 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Ddogg

Ddogg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma and I am trying to wire in my LED strips under my dash and I want to wire them into the headlight switch but I can't seem to figure out which harness belongs to the switch :confused:

2. Nov 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Personally I go for the dimmer switch, if you don't have alot of LED's in line. The dimmer is the green wire in the center console going into the shifter backlighting (assuming you have an automatic). If you have more than a few LED's then I would put it on its own circuit and run a relay from the headlight circuit, or even better, how about a door switch? Why would you want them while you're driving? I would want mine to come on with the door open. Anyways, you don't want to overload an existing circuit in the truck. Alot of stuff tied into the ECU's, I don't wanna know what would happen.

3. Nov 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Tarpon24

Tarpon24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Leveling kit, 20 in rims, flowmaster true duals, bullying watch dog,
    go to the fuse pannel thats in the cab

4. Nov 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    An add-a-circuit to the tails should work, they will come on when ever the headlights are on.

5. Nov 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Ddogg

Ddogg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I have done this before and not had any problems. The dimmer switch could work but I would rather have them come on when I turn my headlights on since I wouldn't need them in the daytime.

6. Nov 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Your truck man. The factory service manuals with wiring diagrams can be easily googled. THeres a website somewhere with every years diagrams.

7. Nov 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    I'm assuming that you want them to come on with the instrument panel lights? The heater/AC control harness is an easy place to access that circuit. Look at the Flyzeye Designs site for the instructions on how to wire in their console light. It's easy (...the control bezel pops right off for access). Works great, and they'll dim with the rest of the lights.

The ones in my gallery are wired that way. The current draw for a few LEDs is minimal so I wouldn't sweat the load unless you're doing something more extreme,

8. Nov 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    Ddogg

Ddogg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Yea I can't see what I have drawing too much power but I appreciate the help guys. I will keep on searching to find where this harness is, if anyone has any links feel free to hook a brotha up!

9. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    The 'instructions' link above has pics. Here's a video showing exactly how to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312I0FlQ4bM

You might throw a meter on the green and green/white wires just to confirm the polarity. There was some discussion here on whether it was the same on later trucks as earlier. Mine (2010) was as shown here.

Products Discussed in

To Top