1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hooking up a system in a new truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ddogg, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM
    Ddogg

Ddogg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I would like to wire up my system to my 2013 Toyota Tacoma and I was just wondering if anyone has wired theirs into the factory radio (which is the touch screen)? I know what to look for when I pull the stereo out, just looking for some insight before I go through the trouble of pulling the damn thing out.

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    mike686

mike686 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Waldorf
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    See Build Thread
    Are you doing full install or just speakers? If your doing just speakers there are companys out there that make like an adapter harness that you can use to wire up new speakers if your doing full install i would just yank it out and put another head unit in

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    tdunc

tdunc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm planning to upgrade speakers sometime soon as well, but keep the head unit. Want to get:

• JBL Cleansweep (or similar)
    • combo amplifier for sub and speakers
    • door speakers (maybe component fronts)
    • sub behind rear driver compartment
    Here's a guy who sold his 2013 head unit (pics are helpful)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/244051-oem-radio-2013-trd-off-road.html
    I also plan to purchase these two harnesses so I don't cut any factory wiring. That way I can still use factory wiring to speakers (from the amp), and run the speaker outputs to the cleansweep. Other conductors will be passthrough.
    http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-TA02B...UTF8&colid=2QXV1U2201EX8&coliid=IT67RWBVXLNAC
    http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-TA02R...TF8&colid=2QXV1U2201EX8&coliid=I18OY1PD88LGHM

4. Nov 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    If you're doing a full system, don't keep that crap factory head unit. Go with an Alpine or similar with equalizer and subwoofer adjustability. That factory unit doesn't have preouts built in so you will need an adapter, and adding adapters just produces unwanted noise in the system.

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    tdunc

tdunc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    That's why I would go with a Cleansweep, or audiocontrol device. I just like the clean look of the factory headunit. If I can be 100% sure the look will be as good/better, and steering wheel controls, factory BT mic, etc work...then I'd consider upgrading. Just seems like you'd have to add in several random adapters to make that stuff compatible.

Edit: Here's a thread talking about some signal processors. I definitely agree with isu2014 to not just use adapters...I also agree with his sig gif
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/237790-signal-processor-preference.html

6. Nov 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Ddogg

Ddogg [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks guys I think I may bite the bullet and order the faceplate and wire harness and go with an aftermarket headunit. The factory HU is real nice being that its touchscreen but I would rather have my bass :)

To Top