1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pistol Build

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by StZu, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    StZu

StZu [OP] Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I am about to start my AR pistol build. I am going to be using a palmetto lower, a palmetto magpul pistol kit, and I haven't decided on what type of upper to get.
    I am torn between a M&A non chromed 11 1/2" upper and the Palmetto 10 1/2" upper. I haven't heard much about M&A so I am kind of leery of them. But everything from Palmetto has been top notch.
    The only reason I am thinking about the 11.5" upper is due to the fact that you can have a VFG on it because the overall length is more than 26.5" long and it is considered an "other" gun.
    So what do you guys think?
    I will be making this an SBR this next summer after I get my paperwork done. Also this thread is kind of my build thread to show progress.

2. Sep 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    762NateOh

762NateOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5
    As someone who thinks AR pistols are worthless to shoot - I'd say get that stamp done ASAP, and go 10.5"

I borrowed my friends pistol lower while I was waiting just to function test my upper. Took it out, shot less than a mag through it, put it back in the safe and waited.

I have no idea how to shoot those damn things.

3. Sep 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I don't get it either, but whatever.

As far as shortys go, I prefer 11.5". I've run them as short as 7.5" and you don't give up any manuverability with an 11.5" and you avoid some of the tuning issues you get with shorter guns.

4. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Plus, no suppressor mfgr warrenties their suppressor if you run them on a sub-12 barrel.

Inconel or not, that much unburned powder and pressure really fucks cans up quick.

5. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Well I went with a 10.5" from Palmetto State. I am going to use this mainly for racoons, coyotes, and snakes. I will update as parts start flowing in.

6. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Got the stripped lower and built it with a palmetto LPK
    [​IMG]

Put the pistol tube on it
    [​IMG]

Got the 10.5" upper in from Palmetto
    [​IMG]

Put it all together and compared to my 16" mid length with MOE hand guards
    [​IMG]

As It currently is configured, cant decide if I like the aluminum, moe, or the basic hand guards.
    [​IMG]

7. Nov 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Remember not to put the vfg on there unless you stamp it AOW. A afg however is ok. :)

Cool build. Its begging for a tax stamp.

8. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    So how do you shoot a pistol AR? You just shoulder the tube?

9. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    Some people do. I usually hold them like a pistol grip shotgun.

The pistol AR is one of those things that come from silly gun laws. Its not the most effective solution out there.

10. Nov 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    how true. exact same gun, minus the stock...Makes total sense...:rolleyes:

:popcorn: for the stamp

11. Nov 5, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    I went and shot this on Saturday, it ran well put 300 rounds of wolf and brown bear through it. No problems at all, except the front sight is canted to the left, not out of spec but still canted. I will use a rubber mallet to straighten it up.
    I got about a 3" group of 10 @ 25yds on a bench with irons.

As for how you shoot it, just shoulder it. With 5.56/223 there isn't much recoil so it wasn't really uncomfortable. Some people do not like the short length of pull but I am used to it as all of my AK's are Warsaw length butt stocks and I run my AR in the shortest configuration.

12. Nov 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I've seen people rest their check bone on the tube.

13. Nov 14, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well the canted left front sight bugged me too much. I sent it back out to Palmetto for them to fix it. I was scared that if I moved the front sight over too much I would do one of two things or both:
    1. screw up the pins holding the FSB on
    2. obstruct the hole for the gas
    Well in a couple of weeks I will know how good PSA's customer service is. I will keep everyone updated.

14. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    How did you determine the FSB was canted?

15. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    yep, it takes a lil to get used to but just rest your cheek on the buffer tube not really in your shoulder unless your shorter. But its not to difficult to place accurate shoots

16. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    When zeroing it my rear sight was notched all the way to the left. I tried 2 different rear sights, a magpul and a troy. Also the front FSB is visibly canted to the left.

17. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Sometimes folks say they have a canted FSP when it's a funny eye dominance trick. But if your sight is all the way over, I'd have it checked out. The best way to do that is to fit the key on top of the barrel to the upper receiver. it doesn't take much of a twist of the barrel to straighten it up. Sometimes the notch is a little off...

18. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sent it back, no need to mess with it and possibly screw it up when it should be done right in the first place.

19. Nov 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    fjfar80

fjfar80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR DC
    Total Chaos UCA's, King Coilover Front Suspension w/ Remote Reservoir Shocks, King / OME Dakar Rear Suspension with Remote Reservoir Shocks, DO Front Bumper, BruteForce Custom Rear Bumper, Slee Offroad Sliders, Warn w/synthetic line, Softopper, etc.
    You're misinformed There are several suppressor manufacturers that rate their cans for less than 12" - Thunderbeast (223A - rated to 7"), Surefire (556RC - designed specifically for the MK18), etc. I was recently at a site with Ray "Dog" Sanchez from Thunderbeast and he brought a bunch of demo 223A cans and we were all running them on MK18's with M262 MOD1 ammo with no problems.

I run Surefire and Thunderbeast suppressors on all my SBR's and have never had an issue. Unburned power is more a result of either using incorrect powder and / or too much powder, etc. A short barrel rifle or 7" AR pistol both have enough "length" to burn powder...however, you are going to have more noise and flash since there is less barrel for peak chamber pressures to fall off. Chamber and barrel pressure is a direct result of barrel length and thus...suppressor manufacturers have taken that into account.

You shoot an AR pistol exactly like you would shoot a H&K PDW (UMP45, MP5K, or MP7) without a stock or without the stock extended. The best method is to use a single point sling attached to the end plate (think Noveske's QD end plate) or a 2 point sling and extend (push) the pistol out away from the body until there is tension on the sling. You use the sling tension and the weak hand to control the pistol...it's best not to "tuck" the pistol buffer tube into your shoulder. It's really not that hard to get a hang of. You're basically aiming to achieve the same strong triangle with the sling being the 3rd point of contact instead of a stock.

The AR pistols have several purposes outside of a SBR...it's a lot easier to conceal a 7" AR pistol on a bungee single point sling under a jacket or shirt for PSD work...than say trying to conceal a MK18 in the same manner. An AR pistol is much like a H&K PDW or H&K MP7...they have their time and place.

If you just want to shoot one for fun...use a sling and practice pushing the pistol away and achieving enough tension to help control the pistol.

- Mark

20. Nov 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top