1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nerf Bars with SS mounting hardware?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by deertroy1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Nov 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    deertroy1

deertroy1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Access Cab
    I am trying to find a set of nerf bars for my 2013 TRD Access Cab. The catch is I want them with stainless steel mounting hardware. The only ones I have been able to find so far are Nasta. However, I live in Canada and cannot find any where that sells them.
    My question is: are there any other brands that come with stainless mounting hardware? Does anyone know of some where in Canada to buy Nasta?
    It looks like Steel Craft and Westin E Series offers stainless mounting hardware but not to fit Tacoma Access Cab.

2. Nov 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    Canadiandad

Canadiandad Active Member

Member:
    The NFab Nerf bars I ordered and received came with regular galvanized hardware but a simple visit to your Home Depot or CanadianTire store will help you out to replace the 8 bolts with Stainless Steel versions for less than $8. No sense wasting so much time tracking down a set that comes WITH the SS hardware. Just order the NFab and go get yourself some SS bolts and you are set!!

3. Nov 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    deertroy1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Access Cab
    What about the mounting brackets themselves?
    Actually I've narrowed my choice to Nasta or Steelcraft. Both have stainless brackets and hardware. Does anyone know if the Nasta's have one step or two for the Acess Cab? The Steelcraft has only one according to the picture on their website (see pic below)?

230910dealer_images462image_1a3de20748d3993da1d1488844255a99ec33df89.png

4. Nov 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    what is the obsession w/ SS hardware?
    in most cases, SS is softer and not as strong as hardened steel.

5. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    I've been doing this for nearly 13 years now, selling all the major brands. I can tell you the SS draw isn't all that, otherwise you would see a lot more companies already on the bandwagon.

I have seen several brands come back on warranty over the years, even off the same truck twice. These bars are sent back with the new brackets still unopened. All the customer is doing is putting the new bars on the old brackets.

6. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I would wager rust

7. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    deertroy1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Access Cab
    I live practically on the shores of the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. Salt is everywhere here. On top of that our highway crews dump heavy amounts of salt on our roads on a daily bases. I've worked on scallop boats. The only metal I've seen stand up to all the salt is stainless.
    When I purchased the truck I considered buying the OEM Toyota bars and the salesman took me out to the lot and showed me a two year old truck with them installed. He pointed out the brackets looked like s--t as they were badly corroded all ready!
    Anyone have a pic of the Nasta's on an Access Cab?

8. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I hear you , I live literally 75' from the Pacific Ocean , I bought stainless steel NFabs and there was no signs of any corrosion or damage after 3 years

9. Nov 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    understood

however...most hardware on your truck is not SS. I'd guess structual integrity is a reason.

10. Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Zonktified

Zonktified Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Steelcraft makes some nice oval ones with SS hardware as well as the bars themselves...Just installed them on my Taco. Bolt right on into pre-threaded holes. These also come with three brackets per side, which I feel make them pretty sturdy.

11. Nov 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    DiggerRon

DiggerRon Digger

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    USA Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 4x4 Tacoma
    Cut 4'' from front mud flaps, Applied Fluid Film to frame for rust preventative,
    Hi, Guys you might want check the type of SS. 300 series is rust prof. some are stainless over steel. 400 stainless well rust mostly surface. Check the bars with a magnet the 300 series the magnet wont attract. True stainless well cost a lot more.

12. Nov 9, 2014 at 2:56 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    I've had the NASTA nerf bars on my 07 for almost eight years and have had no problems with the SS, bars or hardware. Recently I needed new retainers for the foot pads and contacted NASTA expecting to have to pay for them but no, they sent them right out, free!

13. Nov 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    Hubs

Hubs Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you are looking for true stainless, you need marine grade stainless. Go to a ship's chandlery, Boats u/s, or West Marine. They may have what you need. Be careful that you get correct threads.

Products Discussed in

To Top