1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wiring/lighting issues.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Av8er, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dec 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    Av8er

Av8er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    So I was installing my new switch and noticed that my other switches (rsca off and the Auto Lsd switches) weren't lighting up. They have never been lit apparently since I bought the truck used a few months ago. Didn't realize they lit up until they flickered on tonight. I started tapping on them and they would flicker and one would stay on for a bit to only go back off.

I pulled the Auto LSD one out and started to trouble shoot. It was getting constant 12v, and dimmer 12v with ign to on. While testing it a second time with my voltmeter, I heard a pop and now my automatic shifter console lights, my DTRL's and my switches aren't getting constant 12v or lighting up for that matter.

What did I do? I checked all the fuses that I could tell in both fuse panels and replaced the "acc" fuse which looked to be shot. Still not getting any 12v to the switches and can't find any other fuses relays associated with the dtrl's or shifter console lights?

Any idea's ??

2. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    easler24

easler24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Michigan
    Sounds like a fuse issue to me.

3. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's a little bulb inside the switches that makes them light up, I'd check to make sure it's seated in properly. The fact that you can tap on them and the lights will flicker leads me to believe you have a loose connection. Make sure the connectors at the back of the switch are plugged in securely and check the bulbs.

[​IMG]

Not a great picture but that brown round thing you see on the side of the fog light switch is the bulb. Use a small flat head screw driver and make sure it is properly seated.

4. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    thanks guys. Pugga I was doing exactly what you are referring to when the problem started. At first it was just flickering so thats what I was checking on. (bulb and connection at back, as well as 12v readings, etc.)

Now I'm getting no constant 12V to the back of ANY switch and the DRL's and center console lights aren't working. I've checked every fuse with any label relating to either of the three things. ??

Tks for the suggestions

Gonna test all my fuses for continuity. Wish me luck ;)

5. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Thks bud, I'll start with that one! ;)

Fixed with the exception of my factory switch lighting still isn't working. Both bulbs were flickering on/off a little last night but can't get them to do it at all now. I'll try bulbs then explore further later. They each work, that is powers it's relative component downline, but just don't light up when lights and Ign. on. ??

Products Discussed in

To Top