1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trottle body/MAF cleaning troubles

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ngrysen713, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    ngrysen713

ngrysen713 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Hudsonville, MI
    After a good amount of time with rough idle and dealing with it, and just recently an even lower and rougher idle (died a couple times), decided it was time to take a look at the throttle body and clean both that and the MAF.

First time doing both, had resurrected the engine from severe mistreatment a good year ago. Looked as though the previous owner had never changed the oil, sludge in the engine like you wouldn't believe.

Took the throttle body off and sure enough--S*** CAKED on everything I could see. Was able to clean it up pretty good and put it back together. Also took the MAF out and sprayed legitimate MAF cleaner to eliminate any doubt. Here is what followed:

1. Started up, just fine...
    2. Realize it's running fast
    3. Realized I forgot the MAF sensor, connected the MAF sensor.
    4. Hesitates a little bit.
    5. RUNNING LIKE MAD, idle at 3,000 rpm
    6. Throttle not settling all the way back
    7. Ran 7 miles back home, idle still at 3,000 rpm.
    8. Shut down, still idling just as high if not a tiny bit more
    9. Here I am

Any ideas? I could tell that the throttle body I took off was not the only air system part that needed cleaning, that was for sure. Was it just too much a change for it to catch up to? Will it just settle down after a little more time?

2. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Any codes coming up? How's the spark plugs look

3. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Check for a little slack in the throttle cable (at the throttle). There should be a little.

4. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This is the 4th time in as many months of serious problems after cleaning the MAF and TBI.

How did you clean them, and more importantly, why?
    The MAF should never need to be cleaned unless it becomes fouled or dirty from the use of a "washable" air filter.
    The only thing that should be needed is an occasional "wipe down" of the inside of the throttle bore and butterfly using a clean rag soaked in Seafoam.

5. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Unplug the battery so the ecu can reset.

6. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Think about this...if it was as caked as you say, it wasn't getting much air through there. When you cleaned it, all of a sudden it was getting a lot more air at idle. Iac is probably confused, as well as the PCM. If it was as bad as you say.

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    ngrysen713

ngrysen713 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Hudsonville, MI
    Haven't a chance to look at either. Check engine light was on before this started, will have to run and see what I find. Would spark plugs really play a role in this?

Yes, there is slack. I actually disconnected the throttle cable, albeit it's lower, it's still at 2k rpm. Connected the cable, no change.

After my findings on the sight, I thought this would be a good action step to help minimize or solve the issue. I took the MAF and sprayed with MAF cleaner and let it dry. The throttle body was filthy, picture below, so I cleaned as advised (throttle body cleaner & seafoam with a tooth brush)

Did this, seemed to have improved slightly. from 3k to 2k...

That's what I was thinking as well.

Disconnected the battery as advised and disconnected the throttle to see how it would idle without it. Now, it's stuck at 2,000. Put the throttle cable back on and it sits right around 2k. Better than before, but still a good 1,000 rpm where it should be. Attached is the picture of the body before I cleaned it... I was able to get most of it off with the exception of a semi-circle's right where the butterfly pivots.

Running to see if I can get some codes, any other help appreciated

Throttle body before cleaning.jpg

8. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    ngrysen713

ngrysen713 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Hudsonville, MI
    Update: Took it for a run...quickly back up to 3k rpm's. No Check Engine light to speak of. :mad:

9. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    x2

10. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    2nd gens dont have cables.

EDIT: Jk I just saw you had a 97

11. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    High rpm after throttle body cleaning is normal, but 3 gand is a little high. How does the truck accelerate? Is it smooth or jerky? Check if there is any gunk on the edges of the throttle body butterfly which could keep it from closing to it's idle position.

Also, if throttle body and intake were very dirty, maybe even check your PCV valve vacuum lines etc.....

12. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    wut engine ? :notsure:

(* already mentioned) IAC (idle control valve) if ya have one

It can be cleaned... but could need replacement if that don't work

the fsm details the resistance check/test

13. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR

14. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Codes or no codes

Are you certain all connections are clean and seated for wiring items.

My guess would lean towards you got debris into the Idle Air circuit and need to flush it out or remove and clean it.

Also, any chance you somehow left a hose undone creating a crazy vacuum leak?

PK

15. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    ngrysen713

ngrysen713 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Hudsonville, MI
    Update: After my last post, I quickly found my air cleaner assembly to not be connected completely...dope! When not move, the engine idles right at 2k rpm. As I am coasting and off the gas, the engine bounces between 1k and 1,500 rpm. It's like a constantly bouncing basketball. Once I stop at a light, etc, it goes up to and stays at 2,000 rpm.

Ran like this for a few days with NO codes. Running down the highway on Wednesday, Check engine light pops up. Made it to AutoZone, 3 codes came up:

401: EGR?
    130: o2?
    133: o2?

I replaced the plugs and wires with no difference. Didn't think it would, but thought it was about time anyways.

Stays at 2,000 when still, consistently bounces between 1k and 1.5k when coasting...

16. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Sounds like a vacuum leak but a new O2 sensor wouldn't hurt.

Products Discussed in

To Top