1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Choosing a Rear Diff Locker- 2nd gen taco prerunner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cornnuts, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    There are also many other lockers out on the market but selectable (on/off controlled by driver) lockers are GREAT for tight maneuvering (allows to to take tight turns when disengaged). This is an interesting video of the Zip Locker by Yukon (owned by Randy's Ring and Pinion if I am not mistaken).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    2-Piece ARB Air Lockers

Posted on October 6, 2011

FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS, ARB HAS BEEN QUIETLY MOVING FROM A THREE-PIECE AIR LOCKER DESIGN TO A STRONGER TWO-PIECE MODEL WITH SOME HEAVY-HITTING INNOVATIONS INSIDE. FIND OUT WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEXT ATTEMPT THAT IMPOSSIBLE OFF ROAD OBSTACLE.

[​IMG]

ARB’s original three-piece Air Locker design has proven credentials. Since the 80s, it has constantly evolved and improved to become the mainstay traction aid for off roaders across the globe. At a flick of a switch, you can climb out of mud holes, get a grip in sucking sand and rock crawl with the best of them. ARB Air Lockers have been the silent partners in winning many off road competitions as well, from the King of the Hammers in the US to the Malaysian Rainforest Challenge.
    So why change a winning formula?

Daniel Bongard, head of ARB’s Air Locker division, was hired in 2000 to design and implement improvements to a small number of Air Locker models that, while featuring all of the components that have made Air Lockers so reliable, were found to underperform when compared to the rest of the locker range.

But redesigning these models proved difficult, as Bongard explains. “We found that there was a delicate balance in regard to attaining optimal strength. When we increased the strength in one area of the locker, a different area or component was weakened. After four complete design options had been explored and dismissed, we knew it was time for something radical. So we put aside the existing Air Locker design and started from scratch.”

What followed was six months of computer-generated concepts involving an original two-piece design, new components and a unique ‘timed’ gear set that showed exciting improvements in strength, durability and locking speed.

“We’re not talking about improvements in strength of 3 or 4%, which any engineer would be proud of,” Bongard says. “The lab results indicated a phenomenal 40% improvement in static torque strength compared to the equivalent three-piece design. It was huge.”

A further six months was then spent proving and refining the design. This meant destructive testing both in the lab and with prototypes fitted to vehicles driven through obstacle courses and across all types of terrain. “It was all about trying to break the prototypes and improving the design,” Bongard says. “But the two-piece Air Locker came out on top.”

In fact, the two-piece Air Locker was such a leap forward in strength, durability and locking speed that ARB immediately commenced a program to implement the new design across the Air Locker range.

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    very cool vid

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    i hope my front arb is a 2 piece, im not sure

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    do you know murphy? its an arb rd 121

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    1LEGGER

1LEGGER 1LEGGED BADASS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Cedar Hills UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtra Cab 80K Tacoma
    Yeah man they look good and I haven't heard a word out of my wife.

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    06sr5prerunner

06sr5prerunner DILIGAF

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    midland tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 prerunner
    bhlm paint wheels duplicolor plasti dip white grill. billies 5100. bf goodrich at 285's 75 16 black valence led corner lights expedition bed rack by anb fabrication spidertrax wheel spacers rotopax fuel tanks 4gal mounted on bed rack quickfist mounts for shovel. ddm hid kit 35watt 6000k hi/low beam
    was planning on buying powertrax lockright locker but its gonna have to be a arb for me. does anybody know the best site to get it at. i have a 8.4 rear end.

8. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    got mine from ECGS eastcoastgearsupply.com cheaper than most

9. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    our rear diffs dont have a diff cover.

10. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
  11. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Eatabullet has it right-There is no cover, only the carrier.

BAMF makes rear differential skids for extra protection, but I'm not sure that is what you are talking about.

12. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    only way i know of to get the ARB diff cover is to SAS your truck. seems a little costly to get one of those

13. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Ugly Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    i ordered one during the black fri sale. cuz i smacked it a couple times at hidden falls OR park

14. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    You can get weld on armor for the back of the housing where it's the thinnest, that's more to prevent other issues though. I don't think housing flex is really an issue for most of us.

15. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Not sure off the top of my head but that is the least of your worries... The 121 will serve you like a king. The weak link/fuse of your front drive line are the CV joints. Only thing you can really do that is an improvement over stock is RVC CV axles at $2,000 a set. They are guaranteed for life. The inside CV is a 930 (Porsche design, used ALOT in off road racing) and the outer is a RCV design. Other than weeping grease from the outside 'bell' (no CV boot) they are pretty sweet. To be happy with the life of CVs it is pretty consistently believed that OEM axles are the way to go. You can get them in the $300 range new if you know someone or search. Rebuilds can be okay but it is hit or miss. When I get rebuilt units, I ALWAYS order two and take the best of the two. Things to look for is grooves that have worn into the seal surfaces, and ensure that OD of the dust shields and seals have a good seat (check them with brand new seals (OEM, National-OEM on my Mexican built truck, or other good quality seals). Don't replace a CV without replacing seals - especially the inner. Good thing to order a couple of OE CV axle inner seals, keep them in the original packaging and keep them handy. I have a spares kit that has a spare for both sides (they are different sizes).

One other thing to do is to not ignore ripped boots. You may get away with mall driving but off road, you are bucking for a trail fix you don't need to experience. If you are confident in the repair department you can get the OEM kit for something like $50 and replace them yourself or hire a rebuild place to replace them for about $100. If you have less than 75,000 to 100,000 miles on them and reboot them. You can either use them as a spare or put em back on and wish for the best. :)

[​IMG]

I personally think the best resource is Chase and his guys at East Coast Gear Supply. His warranty is the best in the business and his prices are hard to beat. I live in CA and still think it's the best deal/resource out there. There are local shops with folklore and high confidence of some locals but just make sure that they live Toyota and you will be happier in the long run.

Can't go wrong there.

Although it is not my style (I feel it would reduce my clearance and any reduction - even a 1/4" is not what I am looking for. They may actually help a little but in such a liimited range of loads.

If you really want to make an e'locker housing more rigid you would be looking at welding on a truss.

This one from Sky Manufactuing is for an earlier Toyota.

[​IMG]

To do this right you either hire someone like Currie Enterprises to create, weld and straighten (if necessarily). Race fabricators typically will design their trussing, tack it in place and send it to Currie to finish the welding and check and straighten. IIRC they charge about $400 to install one on our trucks.

That may help but IMO will not cure the ills of the e-locker's weakness - and don't get me wrong, under many conditions they may do fine. I have not had that experience but I wouldn't consider myself to be a 'normal conditions' guy.

At least you know your limits! :)

16. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    You can get a Detroit Locker for the 8.4, no air, no lines, no ice ups. Little noise from the rear in parking lots as it engages and disengages. Had one in an old ford long ago, stronger then our axles. One of these years going to put one in the little truck.

17. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Oh they did put a piece of tin but that's about it - the same gauge as the front splash guards.

18. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    ElTacoCaliente

ElTacoCaliente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Ram Power Wagon ST
    I've had an ARB on a past rig (as a front diff locker though) I loved it! I plan on getting one for the rear of my Tacoma (as mine is not a TRD). I have also run two different non-selectable lockers in past vehicles- an Aussie locker (it's a lunchbox style locker) and a Detroit locker. I loved them both in the vehicles they were in but, I would be hesitant to get either of them in a Tacoma, the light rearend of a Tacoma combined with a full time locker would make for some terrifying handling at times, I would think! (I am saying this for a street driven rig, a fulltime locker on wet or icy roads would be terrible with such a light rearend!)

19. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    If you drive in an area with black ice... heaven help you.:eek:

Products Discussed in