1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help from a plumber

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by chadderkdawg, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg [OP] Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    [​IMG]

I need to get the pvc you see here on the left draining into the main home drain, the larger pipe on the right. It currently drains into the floor drain in the utility room, I believe it's the storm sewer. I won't necessarily do the work myself, but I'd like to know what needs to be done to get this to drain into the main sewer drain. Any help is appreciated.

2. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    I doubt that that is any kind of storm sewer, but if it was it would be illegal to tie it into your sanitary sewer either directly or indirectly (through the floor drain).

Tough to say for sure but from what's visible in the photo you'd likely have to cut up the floor and change out the hub and spigot cast iron pipe to be able to tie that PVC in.

3. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    The pvc currently drains into the storm sewer, which is out of view of this picture. What you are seeing here is the sanitary sewer pipe, and I need to get my pvc into that.

4. Dec 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm making a lot of assumptions based on the picture and your previous posts so I apologize if some of them are wrong. You mentioned a "home drain" so I'm assuming we're talking about a house here.
    A house doesn't typically have a storm sewer. You also mentioned that the pvc drained into a floor drain. A floor drain is typically connected to the sanitary sewer.
    The only exception I can think of is in a parking garage where floor drains that typically receive water from rain or melting snow discharge into a sand and oil interceptor and then into the storm drain.
    A storm drain is supposed to receive untreated water from nature and the sanitary sewer is supposed to receive waste water that originally came from the treated, potable water system.

At any rate, you were asking how to connect the pvc pipe pictured into the hubbed cast iron pipe pictured.
    I don't know what the pvc pipe is draining, but I assume it's not a pumped drain but rather a gravity drain.
    From the picture, it appears that the horizontal portion of the pvc is at or below the lowest hub in the cast iron.
    That's why I say you would probably have to cut into the floor in order to connect the two. I can't tell from the picture if the cast iron is rubber gasketed or lead and oakum poured joints.

I'm also assuming this is in a basement? It's likely that the lowest hub you see in the picture is the upper end of a sweep (90 degree elbow).
    If that's the case, you may need to cut a larger section of concrete out to connect into the horizontal portion of the line.
    If you get really lucky and that hub is the top of a vertical piece of pipe, you may get away with a small hole and be able to connect vertically.

Hopefully this helps some.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Thanks for the explanation, it's not worth all of that work I dont think... it's draining a sink, shower, and washing machine, so maybe I'll just leave it in the floor drain. Thanks again, have some green bars :).

Products Discussed in

To Top