1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma... Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by justindavis, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Dec 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    justindavis

justindavis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD PreRunner Double Cab
    So I have a 2011 Tacoma TRD PreRunner, and it's awesome, but...
    It has the basic stereo in it. No XM, no BlueTooth - two things I really wish I had.

I've got Sat Radio on my phone, which sits in a windshield mount, and I can stream it without any issues and run it through my auxiliary jack. I've been looking at something like this so I wouldn't have wires going all over the place.

My question is, am I better off going this route, or would it be better to try to get a upgraded stereo? It's been a long time since I installed a car stereo, and I don't really want to go after market... I am assuming I would have to change my antenna as well, but would any other wires or harnesses need to be changed?

2. Dec 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    Well I am sure you are aware of the advantages of an aftermarket radio. Aside from that, you will not have to replace the antenna. What you will have to do is install an additional antenna. That is unless you have a sharkfin on your Taco, which I doubt because you don't have sat radio stock. You will also have to run a microphone IOT use the bluetooth phone feature. If you use a double din unit, you will likely want to install a parking brake bypass for the safety features. And if you have steering wheel controls, you will need an adapter to make those function properly.

If you truly only want to stream the audio from your phone, and don't have a deep desire for better sound or extra features, then you will probably be happy with that device.

One thing, tho...doesn't the 2011 have bluetooth stock? And if your phone has the ability to stream audio, it likely has bluetooth also. So why would you need the adapter rather than just using the phone's built in bluetooth?

3. Dec 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    justindavis

justindavis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD PreRunner Double Cab
    For some reason, my Tacoma has a basic stereo. I bought it used from a Nissan dealership (had 1,000 miles on it) and I knew more about the truck than the guy who sold it to me. He assured me that it was Sat ready, as opposed to sattelite capable (which it actually was). In '11 the stock radio is Sat capable, but other than that it is nothing more than a standard AM/FM with mp3/WMA single disc player. The higher end stereo came standard with Bluetooth, 6 disc changer, and Sat Ready. Much to my dismay when I called Sirius and tried to have the sattelite radio turned on in the truck...

I may wind up going aftermarket, the more I think about it... but I think for now, I'm just going to stick with the Bluetooth adapter plugged into the Aux line.

Products Discussed in

To Top