1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tacoma Steering wheel... cross post...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rzgkane, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    rzgkane

rzgkane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
  2. Dec 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    Ok, so great news. That $89 ebay wheel worked perfectly on my 2000 Tacoma Prerunner with cruise control. I think the only reason the site says their wheel doesn't fit trucks with cruise control is because it comes bare, without any of the bracketing that holds the cruise switch in place. But that's of no consequence if you are simply replacing a wheel already fit with the cruise guts. I now have replaced that shitty rubber wheel that came completely disconnected from the metal ring with a nice, new leather wrapped Toyota wheel for $89. Dealer wanted $450 for a new rubber POS.

Easy as pie, too. All you need are a 19mm socket and ratchet, a Torx 30 bit (long, because the reach into the airbag retention bolts is deeper than a standard Torx bit), a 10mm wrench and a phillips screwdriver.

Here's how I did it and it worked for me. I do not recommend this to anyone else! Do not do this. Your airbag could blow up in your face. I am not responsible! Do not try this at home. Have a professional do it. DANGER! DANGER! EXPLOSIVES AT WORK!!!!

First, disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery and then touch the cable end to the positive post of the battery by keeping the wrench on the negative cable and reaching it over to the positive post. This will discharge any stored up energy in the truck's electrical system. Make sure not to contact the negative post and positive post of the battery at any time!!!

Then, go inside the truck and remove the two covers on the back of the steering wheel plastic trim that conceal the airbag rentention screws. One is on the left side of the wheel and is a little round plastic deal. Easy to see. The other is the plate just next to the cruise switch. Also easy to see. Pop them out. Behind both of these covers are the two screws that hold the airbag to the steering wheel. They are Torx 30 and they enter the unit at an angle. They are also deep in there so you need that long bit. Your bit will have to enter the screw heads angling from the front of the truck aiming slightly toward the back of the truck. Otherwise, you will not be able to get the bit into them. Unscrew the screws until you know they're free from the airbag. Grab the airbag with two hands and pop it out. The only thing holding the airbag to the wheel will now be the airbag harness in yellow shrouding. Disconnect it and set the airbag aside.

Push the screws that held the airbag in place outward so that they do not interfere with your putting the airbag back in. They will pop out into a position that will hold them in place and not allow them to fall on the floor.

The cruise switch will be held to the vehicle by a large plastic connector at the 12 oclock position. Disconnect it so you can take out the wheel and cruise switch as one assembly.

Now loosen the 19mm nut that holds the steering wheel to the steering shaft almost all the way but do not remove it. Keep it threaded on by a turn or two. You wanna know why? Because if you do remove it, and then you rock the wheel back and forth and pull it towards you in an attempt to break the wheel free of the steering shaft, it will come off in your hands and slam you in the face. You do not want that. The nut will keep it from happening.

Now that you have the wheel loose, put the steering wheel in the exact centered position, remove the nut and the steering wheel falls off in your lap. Place the old wheel next to the new wheel and transfer the parts. That's it. Assembly is just the opposite.

When securing the airbag into the steering wheel, you will have to apply inward pressure on the screws to pop them out of the place you popped them into when you removed the airbag. Otherwise, they will just spin and never bite into the airbag module.

Sorry about no pics. Really, you do not need them. A trained monkey could do this job. But you should have a professional do it. Not you. Never you. Do not try it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Offroad edition (2000 Tacoma sold in 2018)
    Lift, tires, wheels, bumper, winch, sliders, skids, regeared
    Pics of the finished product! My POS wheel is also separated from the inner steel ring.

4. Dec 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tomorrow. It looks great. Way better than the crappy rubber one.

5. Dec 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1125 by rzgkane, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1165 by rzgkane, on Flickr

6. Dec 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    that looks good! Any idea if this wheel will work on a 97? looks the same to me

7. Dec 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    jkirkpatrick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Thanks for posting!

8. Dec 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  9. Dec 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    jkirkpatrick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    so just to confirm, I have a "blueiush" interior on my truck (Lunar Mist exterior). It looks like from the picture that the wheel is blueish as well, but the ebay listing saying lunar mist, which would indicate to me that the wheel is actually a grey color. Can anybody confirm? Not looking to have a two color toned steering wheel going.

10. Dec 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    mrbigbri

mrbigbri Member

Member:
    Just ordered one for myself. :cool: Let's see if I can install it without messing anything up! Always have bad luck with Torx bits!

11. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    mrbigbri

mrbigbri Member

Member:
    So bummed... They just refunded my money. No more wheels. 8-(

12. Dec 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    rzgkane

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:

That sucks. I was going to order a few of them to sell because I knew they were worth more than $89. Nearly every old Tacoma has the same problem with the grip coming detached from the ring.

13. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    Bringing this back from the dead. Can somebody please tell me where I can get this same exact wheel at? I really want one bad!

Products Discussed in

To Top