1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care - apparently the techs do NOT

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PhantomVirus, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    While I know that many techs are diligent and detail oriented people - and some are tools. I seem to have pulled the latter.

I KNOW it's the day after Christmas and I probably should not have chosen today for my scheduled 10K ToyotaCare service but nonetheless I brought my Taco in.

Oil change - switch to synthetic and rotate tires - 20 mins of work max. 90 minutes+ later I go get my truck and am told that it's wearing 'fine'. No shit.

Drive home - it's just starting to snow. I park and run inside for a few minutes then the Mrs advises me that 'WE' (read ME) need to run out for a quick trip to the post office.

Pull out and I see a significant amount of oil on my driveway - am like - WTF is this nonsense - even JiffyLube techs tighten the oil pan nut & filter snugly....

Decide to investigate - open the hood and this is what I see :

[​IMG]

Apparently the tech was using an old oil container to capture any oil that dripped out of the filter mount but for God's sake can you REMOVE the damn plastic container BEFORE you give me my truck back?!? :facepalm:

[​IMG]

I know - I should do my own changes but I figured that I needed the tires rotated and I cannot do they myself easily AND it was 'free' I would take it to Toyota. Needless to say I know what dealer I will NOT be visiting again - warranty or not.:mad:

To top it all off - it looks like the plastic container was knicked by the fan - which is what (I hope) is the oil on the driveway and in the engine compartment.....:jerkoff:
    [​IMG]

Lesson learned.

2. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I recall a very similar thread recently lol. Oh whatsup ron? I still have your grill :anonymous: lol

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I have made the same mistake on my truck. That's why I ran a fuel line down to my drain hole in my skid plate. Now I don't have anything to do except let it drain.

No biggie. People make mistakes. Thats why I do my own maintenance that way if something is wrong it's all my fault.

4. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    oh holy shit!!! the guy left a bottle in your engine bay by mistake, he's human dammit, we all make mistakes whether or not we are professionals. the guy cared enough to try and catch all the oil that spills from the retarded filter setup on our trucks. give him a break.

Silentshredr likes this.
  5. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    PhantomVirus

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    Happy holidays - you ever get that thing done yet? Might need to buy it back from you ;-)

6. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    If I recall there was another member that had the same thing happen also. Don't feel bad though, I usually do my own but have been using the "free" oil changes also. :eek: Got one more to go within the next month.

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Haha well...fiberglass and bondo is done. Just need to trim it up, get some mesh and paint. Other projects came up :cool:

8. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    PhantomVirus

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:

I know, and I get it but it was dangerous for me to have that thing loose in my engine. I didn't call the dealer all pissed off I just will need to find a new one or reinspect the work when done.

People make mistakes but this was avoidable with 30 seconds of visual inspection.

9. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Ya that happened recently too, i would like to find it maybe it is the same dealership lol.

10. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

what dealer?

I'm also in NJ

11. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    They left this "gift" for me a couple oil changes ago...
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

:confused:

why would they need a torx socket set for an oil change? I would be worried about what they were actually doing under your hood.

13. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    That's not THAT bad. Bit they should pay to clean your driveway and truck. That's fair.

Te Toyota technicians I've talked with, really care about the work they do. Not all Toyota techs are bad.

14. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Yeah, it happens.

Give the guy a break though. He's most likely just starting out in the biz. They don't put full-blown ASE techs on the LOF/Tire rotation jobs.

I just had my 3rd freebie service on my rig... one thing I do is open the hood once I'm home to see if the oil filter I've previously marked is gone.... I've heard than happening before about lazy shopkids not wanting OR forgetting to change.

The next time you're in there, let them know about it, but don't get turned off by it.

15. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    I forgot the alum soda can I stuck in there to catch oil one time. Scared the shit out of me when i started it with the metal on metal sound. Can was rubbing on the belt pulley :laugh:

16. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    I've been debating whether or not to bring my truck in for the free oil changes and tire rotations to save a little cash. I think I'll probably just do it myself.

17. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    really dude? go suck a dick

Tech should have done his job! Period

18. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Trouble is at alot of the dealerships it's not the tech's doing the oil changes. :rolleyes:

19. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    having a plastic bottle shred and oil possibly all over the engine and
    exhaust headers is a huge fire hazard. Also, there is nothing retarded about
    the design and location of the filter. There is a procedure to change oil
    without spilling anything and leaving containers in the engine bay... which was
    not followed. this was a case of 'lazy service tech'

20. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    TheSloth

TheSloth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma Stock
    Thule 422xt Xsporter Rack
    It happened to me too. Not at a dealership but at the place I always have my truck serviced. They used a clear container to catch the oil, not a oil jug but they left it in there and it was hitting against the belt. The only reason I knew it was there was from the smell of burning plastic and a knocking sound from the container bouncing around. I took it out and was a bit upset but still go there.

Products Discussed in

To Top