1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unsettling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lwolf777, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We have a 08 Jeep and 11 Taco, both six speeds, and the jeep has needed mechanical work since day one (tranny popping out of gear, brakes wearing out early, death wobble and such) while the taco has just needed the maintenance by the book.

Folks on this list like to complain.

Howard

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    :facepalm:

3. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Now if only I could figure out a way to keep Dodges and Chevys from getting sucked in and clogging up my air intake.

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    This too,Is my last new truck purchase.

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Cadha13

Cadha13 初音ミク #1 Fan, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Cook

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 6MT
    OEM Bed Lights
    That's my problem too, is that a defect from Toyota?

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I don't think there is anything unsettling" about a Tacoma. They are great trucks, love my Taco! Have owned 5 Toyota Trucks and loved them all. Now there might be some unsettling people driving Tacoma's but that's another story. :)

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    LMFAO yes very true haha...

The only reason I wanted my lift installed at the dealership instead of going somewhere else is so it would be covered...

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    You have to take reading about negative reviews or complaints with a grain of salt. You have to figure most of the time people don't get on boards to say when things are good or great with their product. Most of the time people only talk when things are bad. IMO.

With that said, it seems to me that most complaints on the Tacoma's are not reliability related. Just annoyances, like the blower fan ticking for example. Mine had it, dealer took care of it, but nothing to worry about in terms of leaving you on the side of the road.

My truck is not perfect, It has some minor things I don't care for (which all will have) but overall I love it and think it will last me many years, lasting a lot longer than my previous Dodge.

Then also look how these trucks hold their value, hard to go wrong on one of these trucks. I had always wanted one but always thought they were too expensive, but I finally got one and overall love it and have peace of mind.

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    All I have to say is I traded my Jeep in for a Taco and it was the best auto decision I ever made.

10. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I can understand how a sedan owner might hear great things about Tacomas and then be disappointed that they're behind the curve regarding luxury, but I can't imagine someone griping about mechanical build quality or dependability. They're the most reliable compact truck out there, and residual values point to that fact. A Jeep will have a similar spartan interior, but the Taco's reliability and longevity leave Jeeps in the dust.

11. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    I have owned thirty some vehicles of all different makes and I have to say in my opinion my Toyota's have had the best build quality and have been the most trouble free. I drive a Tacoma, the family care is an Avalon XLS, my daughter had a 1997 Corolla and sold it with 288k miles still going strong. She now drives a Camry and her husband has a 1993 Toyota I4 pickup that is a little tank.

Want to see vehicle issues spend some time in a BMW shop and listen to what the people are bringing there vehicles in for. We service (HVAC) two BMW dealerships and I have watched them role in on wreckers time and time again with new vehicles with multiple issues. Now I am not saying all BMW's are bad, but at what they cost I did not expect to hear the list of issues each customer had.

Oh, and on a side note. I was on call a couple of years ago and I got an after hour service call from one of the BMW dealers. I called the lady manager and asked what her problem was, she stated that they were smelling gas in the body shop and I needed to come fix it NOW! I told her no problem I am about forty-five minutes away (which she said was unacceptable) and it will be $X amount per hour at the overtime rate. She then preceded to give me a five minute lecture about how our overtime rate was highway robbery and to cancel the call she would just call the gas company. I told her again I would be glad to come because natural gas is nothing to take a chance with and she declined again. The whole time I am talking to her all I could think about was a BMW dealer telling a heating and air conditioning company that OUR labor rates were highway robbery. I so wanted to ask her if she has looked at the window stickers of the cars she is selling. :eek:

12. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Sure but you're driving what in Canada is a $42K truck with a $300 lift

13. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    That's good. As a repair plumber,I can appreciate this. I've been told the same. And heard a lot of slack about warranty also. I explained even Mercedes has a repair department.:)

14. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What Jeep (& year) do you have??

I've owned several Jeeps & Toyota's in my time.... and I'd still buy a toyota over a Jeep for a daily driver any day.

15. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Auto forums are sometimes like doctor's offices. You'll find that a big part of the people there are sick. Well...duh, it's a doctor's office. But what about the 1000's outside the office walls that aren't sick?

And certainly not to minimize anyone who has had serious issues with their truck...but a few complaints in a couple of threads can make problems seem much bigger than what they actually are....and are not necessarily indicative of what's actually happening to most owners. Bad news always travels faster and deeper than good news

I'm old enough to remember the days way before the internet. Back then we just drove and enjoyed our vehicles. We didn't sit around and fret over every little detail over the net.

Read my sig!

16. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you want something trouble free then don't lift it.

I went from jeep to tacoma in 2006. I used to have a 2000 TJ.

As a daily driver the Tacoma is vastly better than the jeep. If you need a good DD do it.

If you want a rock crawler stay with the jeep.

It doesn't matter what you buy as soon as you mess with the suspension you are going to have issues. If it is noise, rubbing or breaking it will happen.

17. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    senojeelnodnarb

senojeelnodnarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oahu, HI /Canton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR, 6-Spd Manual
    Fully De-Badged, Mossy Oak seat covers, Fog Light anytime mod, Custom Bed Light Bar, flowmaster 40 series, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Painted Stock TRD Rims, Custom Plate Bumper, High-Lift Bed Mount, Ballacula Trailer Plug Relocate, Rear Seat Dog Platform, sunglasses holder Switch panel, 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, custom sliders, + a shit load more,
    with my 2013 i havent found anything wrong with it. it is a great truck so far and blows my old 2010 out of the water. nothing squeaks or leaks im 100% satisfied

18. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Was it before or after you cranked the factory radio beyond its capabilities? :D

19. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You mean past "1"?

[​IMG]

20. Jan 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    True that, the factory speakers suck, though surprisingly, I've kept the tweeters hooked up to my new HU and they handle the extra power really well. Keep waiting for them to blow, but nope!

Products Discussed in

To Top