1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs- First Impressions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 4wdTacoma, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    4wdTacoma

4wdTacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    '01 4wd 4 door Tacoma
    Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, 3" lift w/ 1" diff drop, 2" rear lift blocks, pair of 10" Kicker subs run at 1200w, Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD Head Unit, bull guard w/ off road lights
    My '01 Tacoma's stock headlights are just terrible- no doubt about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Tacoma's are some of the best and longest lasting trucks on the road, but the lights on mine have always been less than satisfactory. Now, as bad as I would like to install a full HID conversion, using my money for gas is more important, so for the time being, I had to get something cheaper. I decided on Sylvania Silverstars, after hearing multiple accounts of how they were the way to go if you were on a budget. I ordered a pair off ebay for $25 shipped (not the Ultra's, just the standard Silverstars), so I figured that wasn't too bad of a price. After also removing all of the scratches from my lenses using a kit I'd bought a while back, I installed the new bulbs and was immediately impressed. Not only do they look very similar to cars with Xenon bulbs (they are much whiter than the 3100K Sylvanias that were in there previously), they are much brighter too. On low beams, they probably project a good 10-20 feet further and much wider on both sides. On high beams, they project easily 30+ feet further in my opinion, and have a wider angle too. Considering that these only cost me $25 shipped to my front door, and they installed without anything extra in less than 15 minutes, I'd highly recommend these bulbs. By the way, would this lower end HID kit be a good fit for my Tacoma if I'm just looking for the whiter look and slightly brighter lights overall? http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/...ion-kit/standard-h4-2-9003-hid-conversion-kit

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    I'd just stick with reg bulbs, hid conversion done right is not cheap.

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    4wdTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    '01 4wd 4 door Tacoma
    Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, 3" lift w/ 1" diff drop, 2" rear lift blocks, pair of 10" Kicker subs run at 1200w, Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD Head Unit, bull guard w/ off road lights
    Well for now I'm gonna stick with these bulbs, but I'll definitely look more into an HID conversion in the future. This is how I figure it: I'm going to have this truck for at least 6 more years (until I'm done with college). Most people claim that these bulbs only last a year of normal usage. That means that's $30 per year for 6 more years. That's a total of $180, and when you take that into account, it seems worth it to look into an HID conversion because, correct me if I'm wrong, but typically Xenon bulbs last much longer, so there shouldn't be anymore than the initial cost of the conversion if I go the HID route.

4. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I got 2 years out of my Silverstars before one burned out. Same with them in my fogs.

I'd avoid HID kits unless you're going to do an actual retrofit with proper HID projectors.

5. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I've had them and liked them. Yes, short life. Maybe 12-16 months

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    4wdTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    '01 4wd 4 door Tacoma
    This is what I've heard, and to me it makes a HID conversion make more sense.

7. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    DDMtuning

8. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    4wdTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    '01 4wd 4 door Tacoma
    Mind giving me a link to a decent kit from them? Thanks.

9. Jan 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
  10. Jan 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    AKGoldRush

AKGoldRush Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    01 Ext cab TRD O/R
    bull bar, leer canopy, 20% Tint, PIAA Fogs, vvme Hids, plastidipped emblems and rims
    vvme sucks im tired of ordering replacement ballasts and bulbs. there cheap for a reason. im about to just buy what you got or maybe ultras.

11. Jan 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
  12. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    I bought a set for $50 last spring. Passenger side went out about 2 weeks ago. So i bought another set thinking it was a crappy bulb and then the drivers side went out. I would not buy them again.

Like a dumbass ...when i replaced the passenger side i put the package that contained the 2nd bulb (for later use) some place and couldnt find it when the drivers side went out. So i had to buy another one. I think I accidentaly threw it in the garabge when i replaced the passenger one cause i loked everywhere ..... so i actually did buy them again. But not again.... i swear.

Products Discussed in

To Top