1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How could I mount this in my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToyotaKTMracing, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing [OP] The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I need to find out a way to mount my scanner in my truck. I want it in the stereo area, but not blocking my stereo or my vision. Like to the left of the stereo and have it facing me. Here is the scanner.

[​IMG]

And the clip thing on the back:

[​IMG]

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Front cup holders is a good spot. Thats where I put my fire radio sometimes when responding to a call. ;)

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Haha i clip my fire radio on the change holder on the right side

4. Jan 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    That would work too!

5. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I want to have it high enough and pointing towards me to where I can read it too.

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Haha, I have that exact same one and my buddies just bought two of them. I mounted mine on a Pro-Fit dash mount, but it shook like a bitch so I have a seat rail mount RamMount holding my Zune that kind of stablizes it.

7. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
  8. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
  9. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Yeah.. Hmmm. Idk

10. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    97lt1ta

97lt1ta Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Just go to autozone and gets some Velcro tape where you want it then just stick it there

11. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    SaveAHoRideATACO

SaveAHoRideATACO Pro Tech

Member:
    Lake Harding, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off-Road 2WD
    3" Coil Spacer Lift to Front; 1.5" Add-a-leaf to Rear

Yeah, you could do the velcro thing or try some double-sided tape, 3M is pretty strong stuff. (Only if you don't mind probably ruining whatever you stick it to if you ever remove it). Otherwise, I'd go with the cupholder too.

12. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, tried that even on the smooth surfaces in my Blazer and Suburban and it doesn't work.

Hell, the Garmin suction cup mount barely works on the Garmin puck. The only thing they work well for is glass (and that's illegal in California unless it's on the driver's lower left)

13. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    You could put together some sort of ram mount if you wanted. I recently put together pieces to mount my GPS on my "oh shit" handle which came out real nice. There are tons of pieces and parts on Amazon for ram mounts that could provide you with a few good options.

One option I originally considered for my GPS was to remove my stereo trim and drill a hole to put one of those ball mount studs Ram sells in there, then also get a cradle for my GPS that matched up with the ball stud.

14. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Any pics of it on the handle? That sounds like an okay spot if I can't figure something else out

15. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I clip my fire radio looks to be about the same size on the back of the seat in the storage pouch.

16. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    My finished product ended up looking like this:
    I found an actual RAM cradle to fit my gps. You could use a universal cradle if RAM doesn't have any for your uniden scanner.
    [​IMG]

I followed this writeup by DblD: (I used a longer M6 bolt off eBay, not the OEM bolt. Chopped it up and epoxied it in the RAM piece that goes in the handle)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/93807-ram-gps-mount.html

I just realized the radio has the antenna so I'm not sure how much it would protrude into your line of sight while driving.

Keep in mind you could also mount it something like this as well (using one of the RAM handle bar type mounts):
    [​IMG]

Here is a thread with more variations, which in my opinion last one on the page seems like it would fit your radio in the best place:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=6170.0

All these would be solid mounting systems so long as the antenna is out of the way or out of your line of sight. Ram is solid stuff. I bought all the aluminum/metal pieces and once tightened up they do NOT move.

The alternative would be something along the lines of velcro, cup-holder as others said, another company's mount of some sort (like panavise as mentioned before).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    The 2nd pic in my OP, the mounting bracket/clip that you use with the bolt looking thing, I can't find one. Where are they? I've searched the web. Link?

19. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Drummer0247

Drummer0247 International Jewel Thief

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser
    Best^^^^Velcro works on everything!

20. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Eh, idk. It just wouldn't look real clean.

Products Discussed in

To Top