1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 leaf to 4 leaf upgrade

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

I have recently purchased a set of 3/1 leafs off of a TW member to replace my 2/1 leafs on my 2008 DCSB 4.0 V6.
    The leaves that I bought are off of a 2012 DCSB 4.0 V6 & have less than 8,000 miles of use.

I currently have the Wheelers 3-leaf AAL minus the smallest leaf with my 2/1 leaves. I also have Billies on all 4's with the fronts @ .85 & a 1/4 toytec spacer on the left front.

Allow me to explain the rear leaf situation:

I took apart the Wheelers leaves when I bought them new in September to install the longer centering pin. I did this at work but I got busy with work related stuff & put it off until 2 days later. That's when I noticed that I lost one of the small leaves. Luckily, I had an extra set of Overload leaves so I cut them short to use them as mini blocks & installed the centering pin through the whole thing to hopefully compensate for the small leaves that are missing.

My trucks current height specs are as follows:
    FROM GROUND TO FENDER BOTTOM:
    LF 36.25 RF 36.00
    LR 38.25 RR 38.00

FROM CENTER HUB TO FENDER BOTTOM:
    LF 21.50 RF 21.25
    LR 23.50 RR 23.25

I want to keep the rake that I currently have so I am hoping to gain an inch of height in the rear with the 2012 4 pack so that I can set the front Billies @ 1.75.

Here is my dilemma:
    I ordered a new Wheelers 3 leaf AAL but mine is only 4 months old. When I install the 4 leaf pack should I install the new Wheelers pack also or install my current "2" pack with improvised mini-block? I wouldn't mind saving money if I can. Also, in the pics you'll see some surface rust from a couple of deep water crossings I guess (yes, I have the diff mod). Is that something to worry about or should I just paint them if I do use them with my new 4-leafs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if my post is a little winded but it's the best way that I can describe my situation

Thanks for your help forum
    :D

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    One thing to worry about is the your rear shocks if they are the standard 5100 will likely bottom out since they are only good for about 1.5" lift increase over stock non tsb springs.

Here are the 5100 rear shock variations if you want to verify

0" to 1.5" Rear Lift on NON-TSB leaf springs, Shock Part #: BE5-C478-T0
    Extended Length: 22.94"
    Collapsed Length: 14.02"

3" to 4" Rear Lift Shock Part #: BE5-B110-T5
    Extended Length: 27.28"
    Collapsed Length: 16.34"

I would just run the new TSB springs with the new 3 pack if you want the height. They are gonna sag over time anyways and it seems you like the back racked pretty good.

If you have the time run the old 2 pack and see how you like it and save the money but it will be in the back of your mind should I have put them in. If you already order new springs shipping sucks to send them back.

You are not going to gain much from the TSB springs it is typically about .75 to inch taller if no overly heavy loads have been hauled.

I laugh at the so called rust you have. That is a wear area due to the springs arching any paint will wear away with usage

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    LOL! PHHEEWW!!
    Good news about the minor rust!
    THANKS!

As far as the extended shocks, I see your point. The shocks may be overly extended. Do I put the springs on first or is it for sure that I will need them with these springs?

BTW, I was PM'd about the 3 leaf AAL and I may have them sold for $150 & the person lives about 3.5 hours from me so shipping shouldn't be much. I might just meet them halfway. Plus, looking at the pics I noticed that the "leaf block" that I made is more than twice as thick as the AAL springs so I don't think that small, slightly arched, 3rd leaf will lift it more than the "leaf block". Plus, I can use the money for the shocks.

Plus, I may have to buy extended brake lines unless I can bend thd bracket on these but I'll have to look in that area 1st to see how much I am able to mod my bracket.

Thanks again.

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    I would try your old shocks out first. The longer bilsteins might be a lil long . One option you can do is get the shock extenders from toytec. On the rear brake lines what you can do is just add a small bracket where your lines come together just on top of your axle. I didn't use mine on my lift kit so if you want it I will just give it to you. This will give you and extra 1 1/2- 2".

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    BORNWILDGUY,

I read your PM and ofcourse, your reply on this post. Thank you VERY MUCH for your suggestions, your update on the springs, & ALSO for the brake line bracket! I will definitely take you up on that bracket offer & if the shocks end up being maxed out then I'll go for those extenders.

Thank you & lj973gm for your informative answers!
    :)

Products Discussed in

To Top