1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Won't Start... HELP!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I'll bet ya we have our own (TW) well known and experienced Master Techs biting their tongues while reading this thread.

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Chad

Chad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    yeah it's not mine. It was a joke in reference to the monkey thing people keep talking about.

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    It's also funny you mention price. The guy asked if we had any rodents (mice, etc) because I guess he thinks that may have been the problem. When I first realized it wouldn't start there were about 2-3 swallows that had gotten stuck in the garage overnight. If these indeed caused this problem, I could probably get this on my insurance and only have to pay whatever the deductible is.

Odds are that wont be the case and I'll be out 8-10 hours of labor costs (~$900+)

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Yea, I've seen them chime in time to time telling the OP to tell the shop something to look at, and that's exactly what the problem is. TW toyota techs are not Monkeys!

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I'm also going to guess battery.

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    ruled that one out 2 days ago...

7. Jan 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

I never said that, nor would I ever say that. :)

8. Jan 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Too bad I won't be there when it gets picked up so I can ask these questions. You bet though if something is messed up then ill be back getting them to fix it. I just have a bad feeling my head unit will be jacked up

9. Jan 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    True. At this point I really just want to have my truck back in a similar condition it was in before, and the engine actually start :eek:

10. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s

[​IMG]

11. Jan 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

All Pro shop day?

12. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Truck is apparently fixed and I'll get it back tomorrow. Dad said they said the problem was a relay under the console :confused: so I don't know what relay is under there.

13. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Nice - what was the damage ($)

14. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I would call them yourself and have them explain it with part numbers. Then you can check out toyodiy.com for some exploded diagrams. :)

15. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I was expecting about 9 hours worth of labor worth about $900 but they apparently only charged for 4 hours.

16. Jan 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Got it back today. The final verdict was something I had done 2+ years ago with my aftermarket stereo all of a sudden caused it to not start. Whatever.

The idiots also lost one of the door panel push tabs (Why were the door panels even off?) and tried to pry the stereo out with a flathead and gashed about a 2" line in my dash kit. What kind of dumb ass tries to pry out the stereo? Next time I'm home I'm going to make them get me a new door tab and try to get a new dash kit out of them. I also then had to take the stereo back out because they forgot to plug in the radio plug.

Glad this ordeal is finally over.

17. Jan 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Let them plug back in the radio. If you plug it in and then say you guys forgot to do it, but I went in and did it, oh by the way, you put this gash here too. They may claim you did it when you went back in yourself.

18. Jan 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:

That's what I was thinking too. Make them plug it in.

19. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Glad it's back in loving arms.

20. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Well the amount of time and money in gas it would cost to go the 250 miles roundtrip back home to the dealer would not be worth it.

When I took the radio out I realized the dash kit was broke anyways so I'm just going to pay the $25 for a new one. However they will be getting me a new door piece.

Products Discussed in

To Top