1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pic's (lots) New BFG TA/KO 265/70/r17

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    The Story: I have been looking for new tires since I got the truck ( 20,000 miles ago ). The dunlop AT 20's were horrible but I figured I would use them for as long as possible. They were 75 percent worn out when I finally upgraded.

I spent a lot of time on here confirming that BFG 265/70/r17's would A) fit without any trimming other than the mud flaps and B) wouldn't dramatically reduce my power as some larger tires do. I ordered tires trusting the opinions of fellow TW members and am pleased to say that the tires meet both my requirements.

They are as I could tell about 2 inches taller than the worn Dunlops. I have not noticed any drop in milage or power and there is no rubbing all though when the suspension is slammed in some of the pix below the tire is about a hair away from rubbing at full crank. ( I do not have a lift ).

Performance:

ON ROAD: It has rained more than any other December I can remember in San Diego and these tires are great! The Dunlops would slide at the most gentle touch of the accelerator, but the new tires grip even under jerk'y acceleration. It really makes me feel much better about the truck in the rain and later on in the Sand / Dirt. I would recommend these tires hand's down and would agree that the Dunlop's are a safety hazard.

OFF ROAD:

So, I have a TRD Sport Prerunner. To those of you that don't know, that means I have 1 wheel drive plus my simulated LSD ( limited slip differential ). I have no off road modifications :(

That said, the BFG's must have doubled my off road performance! In the canyon 15 min from my house, the tires did great in the mud, didn't slide anywhere and held traction while breaking down some steep fire roads.

On my grandparent's small ranch (Where the pictures are from): This is light off roading, but the tires did great. I mostly just used this for taking the pictures though. They did flex nicely and they fit deep into the wheel wells without rubbing (even at full crank). They just get very very close to rubbing. There was one hill on the property that the tacoma couldn't make it up if I stopped half way. The tires would just spin when I touched the accelerator and I didn't want to test it and end up digging in and getting stuck, so I just reversed down the hill. BFG's are great, but they aren't 4 wheel drive or a locker...

The Desert: I've been out to the desert a number of times in the Tacoma but this was my first time camping! I loved it. It was a great night for looking at the stars, and we slept in the bed even though we had a tent and it was close to freezing outside. The truck drove so much better with these tires!! I go out there for dirt biking, not pre-running though I wish I had long travel, but we did take some time to drive the Taco on a couple little sandy trails. I didn't air down the tires ( kept them at 35 psi ) and we found a great sandy little trail about the width of the tacoma with lots of shrubs on either side. It started with lots of whoops (obviously for dirt biking) and I took them slowly on the tacoma but it was fun in a little kid sort of way. Then it got much sandier and the trail made lots of "S" curves so there was room to slide the back around gently and the tires did great even though they didn't really want to let go. I got to the end of the trail ( a hill that I wasn't going to attempt without sliders ) and I found a spot to make a 3 point turn. This meant that I had to trust the tires and not momentum as us Pre-runner guys usually do. Once I was done with the turn, I jumped on the accelerator a little and watched a tail of sand fly up behind the truck. It dug for a second or two ( which scared me ) and then it pulled out perfectly, a little tail slide and off I was back down the trail! In all, the tires did great and I can't wait to get back out there and spend more time on the trails in the Tacoma. For you so cal people, I was out in Occotillo Wells.

Please ask me any questions. I will bump this thread tomorrow because I'm sure most people are off line right now.

Thanks to all for all the tips when I was looking for these tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the morning after the camp was mostly taken down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A family friend took this picture of his C2. Silly Carrera thinks it's a pre-runner.

[​IMG]

2. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    Island Cruiser

Island Cruiser TVita

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Baja
    Thanks for the great review!!

3. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Glad I could finally contribute!

4. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Cali Taco

Cali Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner DCSB Sport
    Nice write up, just what I wanted to hear.
    I'm looking at buying the same tire and size if u don't mind my asking how much did you pay and from what shop?

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Looks great! What a fun place to wheel too.

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tires were 950 with tax and shipped. I had "Charlie's Foreign Car" in Encinitas, Ca put them on. They charged a lot, $100, but we know them and they do all the work on our other cars and they always do good work. We have had A LOT of bad experiences with Discount Tire to the point where they mounted the wrong tires on my dads car..

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    spartanhockey6

spartanhockey6 My truck rattles, A LOT.

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    Good write up! I love my BFG AT's! i paid $1100 for mine.

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    bcmedic13

bcmedic13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 A5
    Canopy, Tailgate Mod, Many more to come
    Great choice, I just did the same thing 6 weeks ago, I went with the 10 ply... what psi do you run? I am having a hard time getting the right pressure, tire shop set them at 65 PSI, I noticed the rear edges where not even rubbing on the road, I bumped them down to 42psi it definately rides nicer,
    Truck looks great!!
    I paid $1100 CAD for 10ply mounted, balanced. !! with the snow flake !!

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Best tires out there....

10. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    care to elaborate on why you got the 10 ply (e range) ones?

for me, the C load range is plenty. The shop set mine at 29 which is whats listed on the door, but I put them at 35. 65 sounds awfully high!

11. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    bcmedic13

bcmedic13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Langley, BC
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 A5
    Canopy, Tailgate Mod, Many more to come
    Well... I bought them from a friend who owns the shop, I told him when I needed tires I only do light towing and 4x4'ing, I got them for the price of load C, atleast this way it will be harder to get a flat...

12. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    well haha, you'll probably never get a flat.... I don't know if you've ever driven a tacoma with C range BFG's. I'd be interested to know if you can feel the difference of the E range in the drivability..

Products Discussed in

To Top