1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with interior LEDs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by camhawk03, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    camhawk03

camhawk03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab PreRunner White
    I am installing LEDs in my center console to give it some light at night. I am using a switch with it as well. I know how to wire everything for the most part. I have one question though. What wire should I tap into to get power? I have heard that tapping into the cigarette lighter is a good option. Is the power wire easily distinguishable from the ground wire on the cigarette lighter? I have also heard that you can tap into the wire for the shift indicator light. How would I figure out which one is the power wire? (And please explain it to me like I'm five, I am confused on this part) Or are there other wires I could tap into easier?

Any other suggestions or tips would also be nice. Thanks!

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    camhawk03

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
  3. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    For the center console the shifter wire is closest and easiest. If I remember correctly they are red and black. Tap into the red wire.

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    if you have a multimeter or can go buy a cheap one you can easily test which one is providing 12v when the ignition is on.

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    camhawk03

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Can you please explain to me exactly how to do this?

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    You can also use a test light. Just put the alligator clip on a good ground & touch the tip to an exposed end of the wire or the tip is pointed so you can poke through the insulation & if it lights up thats your power.

I went behind the HVAC controls & on the little plug there is a green & green/white wires, green = power & green/white = ground

Like this.
    [​IMG]
    I did it this way so they would come on with the dash lights. I didn't add another switch & the dimmer will work on the led's as well.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
  8. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
  9. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box

I figured you would get in this thread and nail it anyway by helping..:D;)

But I figured with all the guys that contributed to my thread he can probably get other ideas and whatnot so i thought i'd throw the link in here.

Thanks man:D

10. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    1. Get a multimeter, it'll come with two probes (1 red, 1 black)
    2. set multimeter to the 12v setting, it'll be volts DC or something similar
    3. with the keys in and power on (engine doesn't need to be started), put the red probe tip on one of the wire connections of the cigarette lighter. simultaneously touch the black probe tip to a grounding point (some sort of bare metal with no paint).

If you've got the right wire, the multimeter should register the number of volts it's pulling. if not, try the other wire. make sure the cigarette lighter insert isn't in and engaged (pushed in and heating up).

11. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    camhawk03

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

12. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    camhawk03

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
  13. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    camhawk03

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help!

14. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: no problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top