1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRIED TO GET BEARING MODULE OFF...HELP!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dewey7015, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    Dewey7015

Dewey7015 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Huge thanks to this site. Midnight on a Friday night, no more ideas on what to do. Go online, within 15 minutes someone has the answer for me. Saved me towing, taking out dents, fire damage...
    Thanks again for all the help

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
  3. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Yup, he is using a 3 lb sledge. I started with a dead blow mallet, and I think because I was wedging it as I went, I bound up the splines. Finally with the chisels behind the assembly, axle nut on flush, 3 whacks with a 3 lb sledge to the axle nut, and it popped right off...

4. Jan 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    I think your right. I've got good prybars, but couldn't get as much force on the part as much as wedging it. Smacking the half shaft is key also. Roar at 60 mph is now just a slight whine. Begins at 58mph, gone at 65. Better be totally gone after the other bearings go in..
    On a side note, anyone gotten Timkin bearings from rock auto? Boxes/invoices all say Timkin...stamped on the actual bearing says koyo..?what gives?

5. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM
    ST3VE

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    The video posted is mine. And the bearings that you see getting replaced in the video are Timkin. I got them off of eBay, I don't remember if there was anything stamped on them.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Awesome vid! Thanks for the reference.

7. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Just like Moog bought National Bearing, Moog box with National stamp.

8. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get used to the box and switch thing with bearings you guys. In my never-ending quest to find better front wheel bearings for the Taco I called SKF, once known as the best of the best, and got a part number. Now follow this one:

Me: If I order these SKF bearings will they come in a boxes marked SKF and will the bearings inside be marked as SKF with the SKF part number?

SKF Person: Absolutely. We would not put something else in the box.

Me: Are you absolutely sure the bearing I receive per this part number will be an SKF marked bearing?

SKF Person: (long pause followed by attitude)........I just told you they would come that way.

So I pay a big premium for SKF bearings from a supplier that sells only SKF bearings. They show up in SKF boxes, but guess what? NSK bearings inside.

So I try again for some Timkens from Rock Auto. They too show up in Timken boxes. Guess what? NSK bearings inside.

9. Jan 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd be happy with NSK, SKF, Koyo, or Timken, myself.

10. Jan 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    ST3VE

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    This.

Both sides on my truck are Timkin

11. Jan 15, 2013 at 5:33 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    The bearings are stamped koyo, which the bearing company that is doing the press work, says are 1 and 1a as far as bearings go. If this is the case with rock auto ( box swapping), then we should rethink their preferred supplier status. I'm sure they get some pretty good income because of this site. I paid for Timkin, that's what should be in the box marked Timkin. Not to pick on rock auto, this should happen with any product..

12. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Definitely, thanks

13. Jan 15, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Taco'09

Member:
    Surprise! The OEMs on my truck were also NSK. I forgot to mention that at the time I also went to O'Reillys and opened what looked to be a generic white, no-name box and looked at the bearing, and to the nearby Toyota dealer at looked at one of their bearings in a Toyota box, and finally I peeked in a NAPA box. You guessed it, all NSKs for the score. All had Japan inscribed on them. Perhaps NSK was both the primary OEM supplier and aftermarket supplier at the time I was poking around a couple of years back. I'm certainly ok with NSK bearings.

The price range for the most expensive bearing was roughly double or more (as I remember) that of the cheapest no name one, but they were all the same bearing. Sounds like some other manufacturers are now in the mix.

14. Jan 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Koyo are OEM bearings. Or they are on my truck anyway.

15. Jan 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Taco'09

Member:
    ^^^ Yep. We are both correct. My rear ones are Koyo and the two sets of Timken-boxed ones for the rear I have sitting here are also Koyo. As I understand it there should also be a 3rd OEM for these bearings as the Toyota way seems to be to have two or three parts suppliers for many of the parts used in their vehicles (I wonder which parts?) in case there is a supply chain interruption from a manufacturer. A good example of this is for electrical connectors, I have found the same Toyota part number marked on Tyco, Sumitomo, and Yazaki connectors. Another is the now famous LUK vs. Aisin clutches that have been put many 5 speeds.

16. Jan 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    I did some searching and bought my bearings from Napa (moog) for less than half of what Toyota charges. I went to toyota the next day and asked to see the bearings and asked the guy what he figures the difference is. He said you can get after market or good quality. I looked at the bearing he had and checked the markings. Exact same bearings! I asked him what he thought and he said he really didnt know much being a parts guy and all.
    This little piggy laughed all the way home.:p

17. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Another example is nkg and denso spark plugs came stock on my truck. I understand keeping multiple suppliers happy, but again, why repackage? Koyo should never be put in a Timkin box, even if the specs are the same. My point is that somewhere in this process, someone is putting a bearing clearly made by Koyo into a Timkin box. Just doesn't sound right to me.

18. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    Dewey7015

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Update from rock auto. A very nice customer service rep told me to send a picture of what came out of the box because they do not sell koyo bearings.. So, she did some investigating, and (ta da!) Timkin is putting koyo bearings in Timkin boxes. She assured me that they are to the same specs..
    No more Timkin for me, if they can't even put their own damn parts in the box. There, rant over..
    Nope, replaced the passenger side bearings. Whine/vibration gone..

19. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Anyone care to share links to the Bearings? Part Numbers etc.

Looking also for the specific size of the nuts bolts, before I start this project. I need to make sure I have all the tools before I start so I do not have to run the the local store to buy tools.

Or if theres a Link to another thread that has all of that in it.

20. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    My drivers side is the issue, but I feel I should replace both sides just to be sure. If I'm way off base, please let me know.

Products Discussed in

To Top