1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS I don't understand-tried to search

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dtopgun515, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Are the tp monitors on the valve stem or inside the tire? What do you do to swap them from old rim to new and keep they system active? I have a set of ultra motorsport star gazzer rims already mounted on BFG At's from my old truck. I've seen guys talking about steel wheels and alloys and if you have one and switch to the other the sensors wont work. The ultra rims are chrome and I assume considered steel wheels. The factory rims I assume are alloy. Ultra rims seen in my sig are the ones I was thinking about putting on my new truck. Any information would be great guys.

new.jpg

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    lbrewster

lbrewster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellwood City, PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5
    Plasti-dipped grille surround, rear bumper, and badges, short antenna (cheap), shortened front mudflaps
  3. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    2013 ac 2wd. i went from stock 15 inch steel rim to 17 inch steel rav4 rim. the valve stem unscrews, 2 parts, reimstalled in rav4 rim. tire shop broke down one side of stock tires and was able to remove TPMS, then installed rubber valve stems back in those tires, and did not have rebalance, because nothing was moved. rav4 rims when installed was put back on the same axle, and when they got done all they had to do was hit the reset button on the bottom of dash to get the light to go off, did not have rescan wheels. from what i have found out, when you go from steel rim to steel rim {factory} you can reuse your TPMS. i suppose you can do the same on aluminum rims {factory}. in your case i dont know if you can use your TPMS on a aftermarket rim, thickness of rim and design i think is the problem

4. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    I believe the steel rim tire pressure sensor is different in the design than the sensor that goes in an aluminum rim. Generally speaking, if you pull a sensor from an aluminum rim, they will usually go in an aluminum aftermarket rim. That is a question that your supplier who you plan to buy from might need to answer, depending on the wheel design.

5. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
  6. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    the sensor is the valve stem and battery and sensor assembly in one unit

some rims cannot fit the oem sensors, some can. you always need new o-rings
    when moving them

you can

-move sensors
    -or buy new ones that fit the new wheel and program the truck to them
    -take old sensors out and pressurize them to fool the system into thinking they are there
    -disable tpms light

7. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    As has been mentioned, they will swap to some rims and not to others. I was able to go from the stock steel rims to aftermarket alloys and use the same sensors, but I know this isn't always the case. After the swap, the system wasn't functioning at all (no light even when aired-down) so the tire shop plugged into my truck and manually told the TPMS computer to re-recognize the sensors. Works fine now.

Products Discussed in

To Top