1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Extra Cab Build: TONKA

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by cmm275, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    cmm275

cmm275 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Actually I think it rides pretty damn well. The 5100s set to 2.5 was stiff as hell and now its 10 times better. My rear setup with the aal is pretty stiff and the front is noticeably softer.

I feel like my shocks have actually softened up as I have broke them in too even though I see a lot of people on here saying the opposite.

2. Sep 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Just got some 265/75/16 duratracs installed!

3. Sep 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Some pics from an adventure up to the sierra buttes and gold lake back in July. The trails were fun as hell. Moderate up to the buttes but got really hard towards gold lake since my truck has no armor. It was a rock garden for at least a few miles straight but Tonka still made it out alive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Sep 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Nice truck!

5. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks man. Have always really liked your truck too. Clean and simple.

6. Sep 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    Rebel Taco Man

Rebel Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    hey, i got two questions about "tonka" thats also my trucks name that my friends gave it, they all have big diesels... but i love my truck, but anyhow, i was wondering if you could expand on your aux plug thing for the stock radio, and expand on your fog mod.

7. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah my truck got named Tonka by my sister who just thought it would be funny to call it that all the time.

The auxiliary thing can be found here: http://www.pie.net/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=100&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40
    But I bought mine off Amazon. It just plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the factory head unit. That way I can keep the same stock look and play my ipod. All I had to do was pull all the dash apart to gain access to the back, and then plug it in. Oh and also buy the cord that runs from the adapter to my center console. This:http://www.amazon.com/Arista-18-3190-3-5-Male-Cable/dp/B00009V6QT/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

For the fog light mod, I followed this write up exactly. Except I soldered and shrink wrapped everything. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/81243-fog-light-mod-how-pics.html
    I swapped the lower bulbs out for clear ones of the same size.
    Also swapped out the corner bulbs for larger clear bulbs.(requires drilling)
    Then the wire for the running lights has to be connected to the lower bulbs.
    And the wire for the blinkers has to be connected to the corner lights.

Here is my diagram that I made for myself to make it easier on my mind.

8. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    thanks man, your truck looks awesome! did the new bulb and socket fix the hyperflash thing? i hate to ask this, but i coulda swore i seen a pic of your aux port thing, now i cant find it... maybe it was someone elses.. you got a pic of it?

9. Sep 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah there is no hyperflash if the bigger bulb is used in the corners.

I may have had a pic of the adapter thing on here at one point, but it just looks like the picture on the pie.net link above. The actual adapter stays inside the dash above the head unit so I would have to take the whole dash apart to take a picture of it... The audio cable is the only thing that is exposed in the truck.

10. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    i seen one truck that had an actual aux plug down in the pre cut slots. i thought it was yours but it might not have been.

11. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Got some Wet okole seat covers. Definitely make the inside of the truck not look ten years old, and they are comfy as hell.

Also made some custom front plate spacers since the 883s broke in. I shaved down a stock coil isolator from a four runner and drilled holes in it so that it fits over the studs on the top plate. Ended up being around 1/4 inch thick and got me about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of lift back up front.

12. Oct 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Things I am debating doing next:
    1. Removing the bug deflector thing - don't know if I will like the look or not...
    2. Dumping the exhaust after the rear axle - not sure if it's legal in CA or if it's even worth doing
    3. Sway Bar Removal - don't really off road much. Would really just be doing it for fun; again is it worth the hassle
    4. Want to figure out a way to mount off road lights with the stock bumper - haven't really seen anyone on here do it so I'm kinda thinkin its a bad idea/not possible

Does anyone have any input on whether I should do these things or not?

13. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    dont do anything just for the heck of doing it. sway bar, yea keep that. your exhaust idea, it would be great but im sure its illegal. seems everything out there is. try the bug deflector, and idk about the lights.

14. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    DD03SR5

DD03SR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 4X4
    Deckplate,5100's,eibach's,Wheelers AAL,
    Truck looks great man!! i was thinking about the sway bar as well, a budy of mine used stainless pipe union and welded it in the link so he can disconnect and re connect his swaybar on his jeep comanche when he wants. all he needs to bring along is some pump pliers

15. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I took my bug deflector off for a day, thought it was kind of empty up there. But left it off, now I LOVE the look of it without it on.

I'm also wanting to dump my exhaust- only problem is getting registered. Talked to my buddy at a auto-body shop, he said it's possible to dump it with a bracket on it, so you can bolt on the end that clears the vehicle body when you take it to get registered.

As for the sway bar, you'll only see benefits offroad. It just makes road driving more sketchy while cornering and evasive maneuvers.

I've seen people drill holes on top of the bumper- right below the grille on that horizontal piece. If I find that truck again, I'll post a link for ya.

Truck's looking good BTW :cheers:

16. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah I'm really hesitant to dump the exhaust. I have just heard that it makes the exhaust sound a little better, and I think the pipe sticking out of the side is kinda ugly. It would clean things up, and I see a lot of guys on here with it. However, since I live in CA, most likely I will get screwed when I try to get the truck smogged.

17. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    That does sound like a good idea. I ended up removing my sway bar the other day anyways. Probably one of the best things that I have done suspension wise for the truck. It seemed to soften up the front and is really noticeable even on the road. But not in a bad way. I think because of my stiffer 883 coils the truck doesn't roll excessively like everybody warns of. I recommend removing it if you have stiffer coils, which I think you do.

18. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks. Your truck is looking good too. Nice tires.

I ended up taking off the bug reflector, and it was weird at first. I think I will grow to like it though.

I'm not gonna dump the exhaust til I am really sure about it.

I ended up taking the sway bar off and I love it. I think its not horrible because of my stiffer coils. The front sucks up bumps a lot better now.

Let me know if you find anything on the lights mounted on the bumper. I have seen a few guys on here that have it on earlier style first gens. So maybe its a rigid enough mount. But I still don't know if I would have enough room up there.

19. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    cmm275

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    Tailgate Decal

Products Discussed in