1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Radio Upgrade Question...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Simple0936, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Feb 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    Simple0936

Simple0936 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD ORDC 4x4
    I have a 2013 Tacoma DBLE Cab w/the basic touch screen radio. I want to keep the factory HU (I live in a high theft area) but upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amp (no sub). Per other posts I understand the factory HU doesn’t have enough power to run the speakers/amp (I’m not a stereo guy). I wanted to hear reviews on JL CleanSweep and/or AudioControl LC7i (MS-8 is too expensive). I want to add Hertz High Energy Speakers/tweeters (front & rear) possibly combined w/the cleansweep and an amp. Will this produce good sound w/the factor HU? I’ve read other post but they got off topic… Thanks.

2. Feb 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    dwc2170

dwc2170 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double Cab
    Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack
    I agree that the sound system is not great as is. The sound is good while the truck is not running. I found that the volume needed to be turned up greater than 50% in order to get to a decent decibel level. At that point the sound starts to distort.

While investigating new speakers and stereo, I settled on an amplifier instead. I chose the Alpine 445 Power Pack. The amp along with reverse wiring harness cost me less than $150.

Sound is very subjective and all may not agree. In in my opinion, it made a dramatic difference in overall sound quality and volume capability. All frequency ranges were enhanced and the bass is also very good considering I have no sub. I no longer turn up the volume greater than 30% for fear of damage to the speakers. Long term, the stock speakers may not hold up very well and new ones may be needed But for the past 7 months, they along with the normally underpowered stock stereo work well enough for me to stop shopping.

Hope this information helps.

3. Feb 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I also have looked on the forums for information on sound processors, and finally settled on a alpine pxe-h660 sound processor, it removes the factory equalizer settings than tunes your system using the provided microphone to get the best possible sound and allows you to use all your stock radio controls which seems to be a problem with the cleansweep.

Once I find the amp i want at a good price the system will be installed. The system you want to install would be a huge improvement over the stock stereo.

dwc2170 do you have pictures/part numbers of the reverse wiring harness and how to tied everything together?

4. Feb 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    . . . Sub'd

5. Feb 12, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    dwc2170

dwc2170 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double Cab
    Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack
    I used a Helix PP-AC37 Plug and Play Harness. That harness is made for a Helix amp. I basically needed it for the reverse portion of the connector. I modified it for my purpose and formed my own plug and play. I did not want to cut into any of the wire in my truck.

I don't have pics of my installation. If you are going to perform this install I will make something up for you.

6. Feb 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    chrispy

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Thats a pretty sweet idea, what cost was that harness? details on how you modified would be great

I was thinking of do this, which i believe would work the same. here is my idea-

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761...qid=1360712460&sr=8-2&keywords=tacoma+harness

and

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harnes...qid=1360712460&sr=8-9&keywords=tacoma+harness

Than soldering those up to make my plug and play harness. my truck is brand new so i'd rather not cut into any wires lol.

7. Feb 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    I'm researching for the same situation and have found out from the Audio geeks that if you want more wattage for the speakers,and some good bass power that this unit from Best Buy I found might do the trick...I'll let you kno this weekend..!!
    Kenwood Model KAC-7005PS
    1200 watt Class AB/D Multichannel Amplifier...gives you variable crossovers and Extra power on the subwoofer channel......$299 at
    Best Buy...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood...over/4873052.p?id=1218560724327&skuId=4873052

8. Feb 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    So where are putting the amp? Just got my 2013 and the volume and sound quality are the only gripe I have with it. I was thinking speakers were the problem but I find I need to be at 30-35 volume to get any decent sound. I have no clue how or where you would place the amp.

9. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    Nice follow up guys.

10. Mar 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    I just did what the OP wants to do, and it SOUNDS GREAT - but it did take some time, and work -

Kyle from Crutchfield helped with all but the amp, which I got through Amazon (only thing with good specs that would fit) -

Here are the components -

AudioControl LCQ-1 Six channel ine output converter with multi-channel EQ
    Kicker HS8 Powered 8" Subwoofer
    Precision Power S320-4 60Wx4 Power Amp
    Kenwood KFC-1664-S 6 1/2" 3-way speakers (rear)
    Pioneer TS-A1605C 6.5" component speakers Front - seperate tweeters)
    Also needed - Kicker 09ZISL interconnect cable, to connect the sub to the LCQ-1
    I added the AudioControl ACR-2 remote bass controller - well worth it.

The sub and LCQ-1 went in vertically, behind the right rear seat. The Power Amp fit under the front Passenger seat.

Wire routing was the most labor intensive part - power & remot wires ran in the bottom door channels, passenger side. Speaker & RCA cables ran in under the carpet, under the rear seats, on the psgr side of the hump, under the console to the front seat. This was the trickiest part, as there are many extremely sharp edges through which the wires must pass.

I had all the seats, the center console, the door chanel covers, the kick plates, climate control and radio pulled for most of the job. I used 10' long, high quality RCA cables, and 16 ga. paired speaker wires. The dash connections were soldered, using Wester Union joints (look it up), and heat shrink.

The sound is unbelievably good, and 60W doesn't appear to be much, but the sound will get painfull before distorting.

Only down side is, i dropped the head unit while putting everything back together, and cracked the touchscreen (I had it put aside i na safe place through the whole install, and broke it when I was sound-testing it).

If anyone knows of someone selling their original head unit (PN 86140-04080), I AM INTERESTED.

PM me if you have questions or want photos.

Tony

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Mar 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    I decided to completely gut the stock sound system,, bite the bullet and have a custom system installed by the pro's...a little pricey with the entire cab/doors/roof Hush matted, but investing $4k without dampening road noise and vibrations seemed bassackwards...will post pics and equipment install hopefully soon....!

12. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    Good luck - it will be worth it.

13. Apr 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM
    joeyd27

joeyd27 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    Just wondering...if you tried these, did they work?

14. Apr 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    chrispy

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I'm still debating on wether to get the two wiring harness's so that i don't have to cut up my factory one. It should work perfectly fine. I'm planning my install for next saturday and i'll be posting my install. If anyone has done this with the two harnesses it would be great to see some pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top