1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need TW community advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Feb 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Frissen

Frissen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not aim at a lower notch, perhaps an A7, people barely kmows the difference, they only see the brand and the A7 looks, drives fantastic.

Other, get a loaded Camry, nothing says business like a restrained choice of cars, because a 7 series and Hublot may send the wrong signals, specially in your industry and a Camry and a Rolex is more in tune

2. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Brentmeister

Brentmeister Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Dallas
    Have your accountant explore the possibility of your company leasing you and your brother business sedans. There are other nice options besides porsche/bmw. Consider acura and lexus both have some very tight sedans.

3. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    this ^^^
    a friend of the family owns a business and most of their cars are leased, they look good (they lease lexus's) and if you like privacy, if you lease it 6 months at a time you don't have to have a license plate.

4. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL

I'd choose one of 2 scenarios:

- if "the "toy truck" provides recreational enjoyment, keep it and buy a clean used Honda Accord for business use. An Accord is conservative and can be as button up as any lux ride w/o the payments.

- if the lux business vehicle is more important to you than the toy, trade the Tacoma for a Bimmer/Porsche/Benz. Then when your imcome provides the oppertunity...build another "toy truck".

5. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    May look into the lease option through the business.

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I'm I'm a very similar situation...most of the clients in my profession don't want me showing up in a dirty vehicle. Most people view he trucks as always dirty and therefore look down upon it. If you maybe took that money and put it into maintaining the outside appearance (you said it was almost always dirty) I think you'll be golden. This is the reason my truck gets washed once a week.

The key is taking care of what you have as it reflects your relationship to them. You take care of your truck...you must take care of your clients...you don't take the time to clean your truck, maybe you won't take the time to go the extra mile for your client. You won't see the luxury vehicles dirty either...

Keep what you got...life is too short to sweat the small stuff...if they drop you cause of the type of vehicle you drive, then they were just looking for an excuse....

Also a good option...you can get a Camry SE for like $200/month. After insurance and all...$300/month. Or even the new Avalon...they're great looking...

[​IMG]

7. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    I have a '13 Avalon Limited in MGM (just like pictured above) as my company car. It is really nice. I was super impressed with the technology and jealous its not in the taco.

8. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    I'd suggest buying a used 5 series BMW. Looks sharp, inexpensive if you look around, and you get to keep your truck.

9. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    1st world problems lol

10. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Haha...I know, right.
    'Merica..damn it!

11. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    All great suggestions guys...thanks.

12. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    How about a nice Landcruiser?

13. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    Perception and first impressions are the most important key things in the first minutes of a new potential client.

I understand where you're coming from and lets be honest. 9 out of 10 potential clients will not take you seriously from the jump. The kind of car your drive, the way you're dressed, and the way you talk will lay down a foundation in a matter of minutes.

If you fall negative in those categories, you'll have to be extra special to dig yourself out.

If you work in the medical field and deal with those type of cliental. I understand where you're coming from if you do a lot of business with old school money. Meaning older professionals.

If you don't use your truck really for its potential and its getting in the way of making more money. I'd say its time to really think of your future more. Think of the negative impact if you were to keep it. Weigh it all out on paper. Pros and cons. Talk it over with your better half imho.

Coming on here is not really going to help as we're going to be leaning to one side.

Hope that helps man. . .

14. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Landcruiser would be awesome...but again, id probably lift it..Ehh.

I had been thinking about it, then today my brother mentioned it again and I had a CEO of a company I work with ask me if its my daily driver. That's what really made me wonder if I should switch it up.
    Wasn't being rude or anything, but he did notice.

15. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    RAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    ^ Think of it the other way around. Imagine you're the CEO of a professional business and you see someone show up in that type of vehicle. Don't judge the person based on anything else...Just the vehicle itself.

I'm not talking about being a CEO of any off-road world and relaxed business neither.

16. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    I hear that Ray.
    I am the better half, btw.
    But seriously, I mentioned it to her and she thinks I'm crazy to sell the truck. She knows how much I love it.
    Luckily, I'm a pretty personable guy. Once these guys, mostly older money, sit with me and understand I know what I'm talking about and what I'm doing their business is mine.
    But that first impression is key...you're right on that one.
    And I might not necessarily utilize the truck to its FULLEST extent, I still do enjoy heading to the dezert/mountains/camping and this is the best vehicle to do it in.

17. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    RAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    ^Then if the confidence in closing deals is something you possess. Then you'd be golden in fact on keeping the truck.

Id just do a better job to wash and keep it clean when meeting.

If you're able to swing it, lease a nice decent luxury vehicle and not go all out on a BMW 7 or Panorama.

You can lease a nice vehicle and drive your wifes Audi. Keep the Tacoma on ice. Something in the mid 35k. You'll walk away winning in the end.

18. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Soooo, how do these uppity/snobby doctor types feel about Tats ???..:notsure:

19. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Ha...there not all snobby. Just suits. Some appreciate my truck. Some may not.

20. Feb 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    SoCalTacos

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    And my trucks not always dirty...just not RAD status.

Products Discussed in

To Top