1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to fit an Alpine Type X 12"

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tanner, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    tanner

tanner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    Hi,

I've just been given an Alpine Type X 12" subwoofer with no box from a friend. No, it isn't stolen. He had two in his car and now he drives a truck and only wants one. I'm driving a 2005 Double Cab Tacoma and I want some suggestions on where to put this thing so I can remove it and still use all my seating, or maybe have it so I can put it in the middle seat in the back and it remains permanent. I'm also willing to entertain amp suggestions, or any other suggestions that you may have.

Since this is my first foray into subwoofer ownership, please forgive any dumb questions I may have.

Also, I'm a CNC programmer with access to a router so I can make a pretty sweet custom enclosure if anyone has any .dxf files they want to share....

2. Feb 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    tanner

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    Bump I want to hear about your boxes

3. Feb 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Honestly, sell it and find something that is better suited for our trucks.

Depending on the year/make/model of the sub it could be worth a decent amount of scratch. Yes you could make a sub box that pop's in and out, but what a pain in the ass to keep moving it in and out of the truck. Also need to make sure it's mounted securely. I've thought about putting an Orion HCCA 15 on my seats when they fold down but finding a way to secure it has been rather hard.

4. Feb 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Im not even sure with the depth of those that itll fit behind the seat which would be my first thought of putting a subwoofer in a double cab. Dont put it in the middle of the seat, just sounds like a pain. Also these subs are extremely loud in truck. I got one for free from a buddy and had it in my truck for 3 months till it blew.

5. Feb 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    tanner

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    That's a very practical suggestion but because the sub was given to me I would feel as though I was acting in bad taste if I was to sell it for something else. And since I'd be able to produce my own box with a little design insight, I'm looking forward to the challenge that certainly exists in making this thing work.

My thoughts had been something that could just sit on the seats in the back without folding them. That may be an awful idea. I don't know. Either way, I had expected the amp to mount behind the seatback.

If you come up with any ideas about securing that big Orion, feel free to share.

Thanks!

6. Feb 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    over 8 inches, a type x WILL NOT fit behind the seat.

Hell the Shallow Mount Type-R's can be a pain to get it right and they are 3.5inches deep.

As for the type X being super loud, they do 'OK' for the $$ they cost. Put clean power to it and its a great sub. If you had an extended cab I'd say keep it, but for a DC sell it and buy something else.

7. Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    jimmybee1108

jimmybee1108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JM
    San Antono
    Vehicle:
    2012 blk DC sr5 v6 prerunner
    bilstein 5100s, wheelers AALs, amazon dual 10 sub box, with two jlw1s cheap HIDs
    Custom captains chairs in the back, with a fiberglass box in the middle. Best I can think of

8. Feb 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    First of all, how much cubic feet do you need for the box? And are you wanting to build a ported box or sealed? (Ported = more space needed, but louder)
    Depending on how professional you want it to look... Just build a box that sits on top of the seats and secure it with a seatbelt :D--just as long as you dont do any serious offroading that would make it jump that much. But beware, it will be HEAVY if you are planning on constantly removing it. It might also leave the seat more depressed, similar to someone sleeping in a bed every night and that part of the bed sinking lower than the rest.

9. Feb 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    tanner

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    Honestly, I was kind of thinking of going the seatbelt route. I just think I needed to hear someone else say it. As for the sub box ass print in the seat, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

10. Feb 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Those subs are ginormously huge! :eek: no way it'll fit in these trucks unless you just throw a box on the back seat which is pretty lame. Sell it and buy a different one

11. Feb 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Only reason I suggested it, is because it's what im doing. Haha made a box and didnt like the design or placement, so I did this
    IMAG0260_zps70036350_ce4b10e400e091aab610409bed92fb5c9f6f3470.jpg

12. Feb 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I have a type R 12 in a box on the back seat. its big and stupid.

13. Feb 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    tanner

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    To me, having a box in the back seat is no more or less lame than someone having a giant sub box in the trunk of their car. I don't often have passengers in the back, but I want to keep the box removable in case I do.

Please, no more suggestions of selling it and buying something else. I won't be doing that. I'm looking forward to the challenge of fabricating a box to suit my wants, and I'm here looking for suggestions/photos/CNC programmable files that people are willing to share to help me while I'm at it.

14. Feb 14, 2013 at 4:54 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    If it were my truck, I would replace the rear seat with a pair of captains seats and build a box in between them. I've seen it done on here somewhere but I don't know where to look for the thread.

Here's the one I built off of the rear wall in my access cab for two 10" subs.
    IMG_0016_79304d0c03265e4d177415ebe5fe2ba365bc69e3.jpg

You should be able to do something similar with that single 12". Maybe make it ported ?

Products Discussed in

To Top