1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have this right: Wiring Hellas

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by calebm12, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    calebm12

calebm12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd tx
    Weathertech, hand turned wood shift knob, rear view mirror mod, grillecraft MX, hella 500s
    Been reading through various threads, but this is first time wiring, so i want to confirm i have the correct instructions before having at it.

I have attached a pic of what i have. In addition, i bought an "add a fuse".

My understanding is this.
    Light Assembly: Blue wires are grounded, black wires are connected to black wire from relay
    Relay: Red wire is attached to (+) terminal of battery, blue wire is grounded, black wire is attached to black wires from light assembly, yellow wire is run through the firewall and attached to the switch.
    Switch: Accepts yellow wire from relay, blue wire is attached and grounded, green wire is attached to my add a fuse which can be put inserted in the fuse box on drivers side to a circuit that is only live when car is on.

Is this accurate.
    My wiring goal being that the lights will work only when the car is turned on....and will go off if i accidently leave the switch on when the ACC is cut.

The swich i am using is http://www.ebay.com/itm/181043710681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The package that came with the hella's also included a blue plastic thing that i am guessing is used to tap into the main lights. This is not necessary correct?

Really appreciate the help.

wires.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    If the wire colors connect as follows;

Pin 30: Red
    Pin 87: Black
    Pin 86: Yellow
    Pin 85: Blue

Then that wiring Should be Correct. I see that the red has an inline fuse, and you plan on using an add-a-fuse, so you should be good to go. The blue plastic piece is a wire-tap, I would also assume that it is there if you wanted to get power from an existing circuit, like the headlamps.

For the switch: Green is the source (to add-a-fuse), yellow is load, and blue is ground. The ground on the switch is there to activate the indicator light on the switch.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    calebm12

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd tx
    Weathertech, hand turned wood shift knob, rear view mirror mod, grillecraft MX, hella 500s
    Thanks. Got about 2/3rd of the way through this evening and then realized that the fuse tap i have is for the normal size fuses, and i need the mini size. Hopefully i can find a local store that carries one tomm morn.

4. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I did the same thing the first time I tried to add something. :anonymous:

Make sure that whatever fuse you're tapping into, have a standard "mini fuse" of the same size, the stock fuses are "low profile mini" and they wont fit in the fuse tap. IIRC the fuse tap kit comes with 3a, 5a, and 10a standard mini fuses; If you're tapping into a 10a circuit you can use the 10 that came with the kit, as you can use the 3a for the added switch circuit (switch should use well under 0.5a).

5. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    calebm12

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd tx
  6. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Yes (I think that's a mini add-a-fuse - Hard to tell)

[​IMG]

The low-profile mini is what is in the truck, the add-a-fuse isn't compatible with the low pro, but the regular mini will fit in the place of a low-pro one...

If that makes sense... lol

Edit: I don't remember which circuit I added mine to, but I do know that it's hot on ACC, and I pulled a fuse out and used it in the A-A-F.

7. Feb 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    calebm12

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd tx
    thanks for all your help....much appreciated. will give it a go tomm.

Products Discussed in

To Top