1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY – Tonneau Cover Front Edge Gap/Leak Fix (Cheap & Easy)

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Kulahaga, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    I began installing a new TonnoPro Tri-Fold today for my 2010 model. Upon setting the cover on top of the bed to square it up for installation, to my dismay, I observed a 5/8” open gap between the top of the front bed rail and the bottom edge of the tonneau cover. This would never do… I bought a tonneau cover specifically to keep stuff dry in the bed!!!

100_7455.jpg

As most of you may know, there is a differential in the height of the side and front bed rails on a Tacoma, the front being somewhat lower than the adjoining side rails (see photo). Duh! You’d think that the folks that manufacture these covers would notice and adjust their design accordingly to keep the water out. As much as they charge for them, we deserve better!

100_7452.jpg

I don’t believe this issue is specific to TonnoPro, since I’ve observed similar complaints from others in the TW forums using different brands of tonneau covers.

Consequently, I began searching for some type of weather seal or methodology to seal the gap between the bottom edge of the tonneau cover and the top edge of the front bed rail. I couldn’t find anything adequate at any of the local auto parts stores, so I took a look at what Lowe’s had to offer. It was pretty slim pickings there until I happened upon their water pipe insulation. They had two types: One was made of polyethylene and the other of rubber. Both were pre-slit and self-sealing. I opted for the ½” pipe rubber version, since it is more compliant for sealing and is more durable (see photos). It comes in a 6’ length and sells for $4.98.

100_7456.jpg

100_7457.jpg

I proceeded to remove the front cargo utility track that holds cargo tie-down cleats (see photo). I then attached one edge of the self-sealing pipe insulation to the back of the utility track, with the intent being to clamp the edge of the insulation between the utility track and the front of the bed that it bolts to (see photos). The self-sticking inside edge of the insulation made it easy to attach one edge only to the back of the utility track.

Note: It is not necessary to remove the protective plastic tape covering the self-sealing edge on the opposite side of the insulation, just leave it on.

Note: For those of you who may have more forward fitting tonneaus, you may want to stick the pipe insulation to the rear surface of the front bed rail instead of the back of the utility rack. This moves the pipe insulation about an inch more forward. Check the position of the front seal on your tonneau to see if it lines-up better relative to the top of the utility rack or the top of the front bed rail.

100_7460.jpg

100_7461.jpg

100_7462.jpg

100_7458.jpg

I then bolted the utility track back onto the front of the bed leaving some extra insulation protruding from each end for final trimming (see photo).

100_7463.jpg

Using a razor blade, I trimmed the ends of the insulation on an angle to match the slanted taper of the side rails (see photo).

100_7469.jpg

As you can see, after clamping down the tonneau cover there is no longer any trace of a gap to allow the ingress of water.

100_7472.jpg

100_7476.jpg

After finishing, I took my Tacoma to a car wash and subjected the front edge to prolonged spraying with a hand held nozzle. Not one drop of water entered the bed!

I hope that this tip will be beneficial to others.

HoosierTexan likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    I can't see the pics. Is it just me?

3. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    No pics, just little squares. Also, why is this in buy sell trade??

4. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
  5. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    Because he just uploaded without checking to see where to place it.

6. Feb 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    would be interested in seeing pics to go along with description, i also have a tonnopro, and water gets in the front, but not the back, thanks for taking time to write up OP

7. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    The pics appear just fine on my end.:confused::confused::confused:

In any case, I uploaded the pics again... Would somebody please let me know if you can see them now?

Like myself, many members try to find a used tonneau in the marketplace before ending up buying a new one. I thought that I might provide a little insight for them about what to expect. That's why I posted here as well as the 2nd Gen forum.[​IMG]

8. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Big help. Thanks

9. Feb 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    Pics are nice. Well done

10. Feb 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    x2

11. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    Update: Drove for over an hour through a heavy rainstorm and not a drop of water entered the cargo bed!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  12. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Awesome good work

13. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    Great job! sub'd

14. Mar 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    boxxed

boxxed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    sub'd

15. Sep 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    Raptor2099

Raptor2099 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Awesome I just got the same tonneau cover and this works perfectly.

16. Apr 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    NotAHugger

NotAHugger New Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Double Cab TRD OR Barcelona Red
    I noticed the front clamps holding your Tonnopro look bowed. Have you had any problems with the clamps? I thought about not even using the utility rail adapters and clamping straight to the rails. Have you tried that?

Thanks

17. Dec 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    Ricci

Ricci Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma off road edition
    Mine has a gap at the tailgate!? Any ideas

Truxport brand

IMAG0607.jpg
    IMAG0608.jpg

18. Dec 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    TacoTaco15

TacoTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    Great write-up! Getting ready to install Bakflip. Will use this method, if needed.

19. Dec 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    Vngooksta

Vngooksta Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Trd Sport
    Nice job

Products Discussed in

To Top