1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY – Tonneau Cover Front Edge Gap/Leak Fix (Cheap & Easy)

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Kulahaga, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    I began installing a new TonnoPro Tri-Fold today for my 2010 model. Upon setting the cover on top of the bed to square it up for installation, to my dismay, I observed a 5/8” open gap between the top of the front bed rail and the bottom edge of the tonneau cover. This would never do… I bought a tonneau cover specifically to keep stuff dry in the bed!!!

100_7455.jpg

As most of you may know, there is a differential in the height of the side and front bed rails on a Tacoma, the front being somewhat lower than the adjoining side rails (see photo). Duh! You’d think that the folks that manufacture these covers would notice and adjust their design accordingly to keep the water out. As much as they charge for them, we deserve better!

100_7452.jpg

I don’t believe this issue is specific to TonnoPro, since I’ve observed similar complaints from others in the TW forums using different brands of tonneau covers.

Consequently, I began searching for some type of weather seal or methodology to seal the gap between the bottom edge of the tonneau cover and the top edge of the front bed rail. I couldn’t find anything adequate at any of the local auto parts stores, so I took a look at what Lowe’s had to offer. It was pretty slim pickings there until I happened upon their water pipe insulation. They had two types: One was made of polyethylene and the other of rubber. Both were pre-slit and self-sealing. I opted for the ½” pipe rubber version, since it is more compliant for sealing and is more durable (see photos). It comes in a 6’ length and sells for $4.98.

100_7456.jpg

100_7457.jpg

I proceeded to remove the front cargo utility track that holds cargo tie-down cleats (see photo). I then attached one edge of the self-sealing pipe insulation to the back of the utility track, with the intent being to clamp the edge of the insulation between the utility track and the front of the bed that it bolts to (see photos). The self-sticking inside edge of the insulation made it easy to attach one edge only to the back of the utility track.

Note: It is not necessary to remove the protective plastic tape covering the self-sealing edge on the opposite side of the insulation, just leave it on.

Note: For those of you who may have more forward fitting tonneaus, you may want to stick the pipe insulation to the rear surface of the front bed rail instead of the back of the utility rack. This moves the pipe insulation about an inch more forward. Check the position of the front seal on your tonneau to see if it lines-up better relative to the top of the utility rack or the top of the front bed rail.

100_7460.jpg

100_7461.jpg

100_7462.jpg

100_7458.jpg

I then bolted the utility track back onto the front of the bed leaving some extra insulation protruding from each end for final trimming (see photo).

100_7463.jpg

Using a razor blade, I trimmed the ends of the insulation on an angle to match the slanted taper of the side rails (see photo).

100_7469.jpg

As you can see, after clamping down the tonneau cover there is no longer any trace of a gap to allow the ingress of water.

100_7472.jpg

100_7476.jpg

After finishing, I took my Tacoma to a car wash and subjected the front edge to prolonged spraying with a hand held nozzle. Not one drop of water entered the bed!

I hope that this tip will be beneficial to others.

rubiconjp, olecoot and cmpque like this.
  2. Feb 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    raskal

raskal Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD MGM
    your pictures don't work, I'm looking forward to this cause mine leaks bigtime

3. Feb 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    Yeah, no pics!

4. Feb 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
  5. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    The pics appear just fine on my end.:confused::confused::confused:

In any case, I uploaded the pics again... Would somebody please let me know if you can see them now?

6. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You're good now, thanks for the tip.

7. Feb 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags
    Thanks for this posting. I know that I have a problem with my G-4 elite in respect to the gap also. Can't believe how many manufactures don't account for the difference in height.

vince

8. Feb 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Good idea for the front gap by having the rail clamp it in place. Sadly if you get a camper shell you'll have to do this to because they companies still don't compensate for this. I picked up a 3 year old Century cap 2 weeks ago and when swapping the cap from trucks the foam piece the other guy used broke in many pieces. This will help a lot and is cheap.

9. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Jerryjc

Jerryjc Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Barcelona Red 4x4 DCSB
    Tonno Pro soft Tri Fold bed cover
    I have a new Tonnopro as well and I used a tailgate seal to take up the space in the front, it's not as high so I really have to crank the cover down to seal it. I like your idea much better does the TP seal sit on top of the the pipe insulation or does it sit in front of it? Definitely going to do this since I don't like the idea of cranking down the cover thanks.

10. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    The front seal of the TonnoPro sits on top of the pipe insulation strip and compresses it about 1/2 an inch without having to over tighten the front tonneau clamps.

"Note: For those of you who may have more forward fitting tonneaus, you may want to stick the pipe insulation to the rear surface of the front bed rail instead of the back of the utility rack. This moves the pipe insulation about an inch more forward. Check the position of the front seal on your tonneau to see if it lines-up better relative to the top of the utility rack or the top of the front bed rail."

11. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    Update: Drove for over an hour through a heavy rainstorm and not a drop of water entered the cargo bed!

12. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Quick question OP. When you re-attach the utility track, do the hex bolts go through the rubber insulation or below it? also does the utility track no longer sit flush or is it positioned at an odd angle? i am going to do this mod this weekend after just picking up a Tonnopro tri-fold on CL. thanks!

13. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Might give this a try with my G4 Elite. Not sure if it'll work exactly the same since the G4 opens on both ends, so it might interfere with the latching mechanisms. Worth 5 bucks to find out. Don't you have the same problem on the tailgate end?

14. Mar 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    The bolts go just below the rubber insulation and the utility track remains flush and fully functional, since the rubber is 99% compressed.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

15. Mar 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga [OP] Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    On my tailgate end the seal that came attached to the TonnoPro seals well across the tailgate, except for a slight gap between where the tailgate rail meets the side rails. I used some of the tailgate sealant tape that came with the cover to minimize the gap, but there still remains about a 1/4" opening on each side.

16. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I threw one on this afternoon. Was easy to do, seems to work well. I think I may re-do it and reverse the direction of the rubber (stick it to the bed instead of the track) because the G4 has a latching mechanism on that end and it's hitting too much of the rubber seal, compressing it too much and breaking the seal a little. If
    I turn it around and the seal sits a little closer to the cab, i don't think it will hit it as much. Still better than the crappy seal the G4 came with though.

17. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    LouTaco

LouTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R SR5 Premium
    I like it! This is awesome! i have had a leak in mine for a while just lived with it well this is coming to an halt asap haha thanx OP for great idea rep to you!

18. Mar 21, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    I did it yesterday. I went to Home Depot and picked this up for $5.25:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell...-Seal-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-HST05812/100550644

Then went ahead with the quick install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have time to test it with water but looks like it will do the trick. With out the Tonneau on, the look of it will bother me but couldn't find one without the adhesive and didn't want to leave the plastic adhesive cover on it. Anyway, happy to have the tonneau, hope this keeps the water oout, and I like the total finished look.

Thanks a lot for the tip OP!!!!

19. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    My Truxedo LoPro came with a bulkhead seal. Just a piece of foam with 3m tape on one side to bridge the gap. I'm looking now to see if it is available for individual purchase. But nice work OP on the DIY fix.

Edit: Truxedo has a part number for it but getting a replacment part from them requires contacting them via a form or over the phone. If anyone cares, here is the part number and source:
    Weather seal

http://www.truxedo.com/pdf/1115952 - Toyota Tacoma 2005.pdf

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. Mar 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Yeah, my TruXport came with that. Pretty dumb for these companies to not compensate for that gap. Almost negates the purpose of getting a cover for most. I know that's why I got mine, to keep things dry when I wanted too.

Anyway OP, great write up and idea using the pipe insulation. +1

Products Discussed in

To Top