1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need recommendations for adding cargo weight capacity

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JiggyZ, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I just came back from my first trip with my sled/atv deck. Did about 400 km without a problem (60 on gravel road), I dont really notice the weight. I'm running full OME (885 + Dakars) and a set of ride rite airbags at 40 PSI. Two passengers, 150 lbs cargo (some in the bed under the deck), 330 lbs deck + 550 lbs sled. Rides great and no problem braking. No sagging at all. I'm planning on keeping the deck on, it's great in winter for added weight and I mostly use the truck to go to the cottage anyways (I work from home so no commuting). Hopefully Toyota are lowballing capacity because of their cheap city driving springs they put under there. Air bags are definetly a must if loading this much, even with dakars, I tried at 5 PSI and was sagging too much for my taste. If going with airbags, make sure to add spacers to it if the truck is lifted. I basically have a new truck so dont know how this weight will affect it in the long run...

[​IMG]

2. Feb 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    JiggyZ

JiggyZ [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport White
    Thanks for the info. Set up looks stout.
    Just so we are clear what did the full OME Setup do? (lift, equipment, etc.) What size spacers?, and I assume these are coil spacers v. spidertrax type.

Also, i think I am going to downgrade my load expectations at least until I make a solo trip or two, it can get pretty rough down there.

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Imageoguy

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    What I have is
    2X 885 front springs
    2X 9000 Shocks
    2X CS047R Leaf spring pack
    2X N182 Shocks
    4X OMEU53A Ubolts

4X Stock bushing kit for rear of leaf springs
    1X fit kit FK29 (Didnt instal yet since I have no vibrations)

1X 5 mm trim packer for the Taco lean
    2X Leaf spring center pin collars (in case I needed to shim)
    Firestone Ride Rite airbags model 2407
    Light Racing UCA's up front to make sur I can align it properly.

The truck is lifted about 2 1/2'' front and with airbags, I'm pushing more than 3'' in the back, maybe 4''. Ride is rougher because of airbags, it was better without but at least I can haul my sled which was my goal. The setup without bags would probably work well up to 500-600 lbs at occasions in the bed (others might be better at answering this) but if planning on putting more and towing a heavy trailer, airbags help quite a bit to carry the load without bottoming or spring effect on bumps and you simply deflate them when not hauling. They still make a difference at the minimum 5 PSI.

Since the truck is lifted about 3 inches, I welded some 1 1/4'' square tubing under the airbags (see pic) but I believe Firestone offers spacers as well, you might want to call them if you're going to be adding a set on a lifted truck for info. I just welded what I though would be OK with some help of Keith who has a similar setup.

[​IMG]

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    JiggyZ

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply.

More ?s

How did you end up with 2.5" in the front, with this kit? Everything I have read says that gets you 2" without needing the UCAs. The back I can understand with the bags and all.

I am pretty much sold on the OME kit, but I had not planned on UCAs due to the published lift height only being 2". No big deal, if I need them I need them, and I can certainly see why you got them with 2.5" in front-probably not a bad idea to have them anyway-who knows possibly longer life on the alignment, easier alignment, latitude for larger tires latter on.

5. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Imageoguy

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    I just checked,
    was 20 1/4" in front stock, now at 22 1/2" with OME
    was 22 1/8'' back , now 25''
    This includes my Deck and 7 PSI in the bags. I got about 1000 k's on the OME kit. Not sure if surface is even, got a few inches of ice in my driveway.

The UCAs are pretty close to my tires (duratracs 265/75/16) and I dont think I could of gotten the alignment as reccomended without them, maybe with a bit of wear on the coils. The UCA's were $375 shipped at Metal Tech when I bought them, I think they are worth it for piece of mind.

6. Feb 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    FWIW , I got 2 1/2" of lift with 885's on my DCLB 4x4

7. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    JiggyZ

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    OZ-T,

I see by your profile, that you went up to 275/70/17s on stock rims(assume) without UCAs (apparently), no spacers (apparently) with the OME kit. If that was your set up, was it accomplished w/o trimming? or why don't you just tell me what you did.

I would like to set myself up for a minimal amount of work when then the stock tires need replacing, should I decide to go a little bigger on the tires. Thanks.

8. Feb 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have LR UCA's , but no rubbing or trimming required so far

Yes I am on stock Sport alloys

Products Discussed in

To Top