1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

.22 LR subsonic vs air rifle

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by pittim, May 29, 2009.

1. May 31, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
  2. Jun 1, 2009 at 1:26 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rarebit. Agian, a air rifle can put out between 12 -35 fpe and hit ranges to 60 yards easily.

Shot placement is key as with all hunting and kills. Only takes a little less than 10 FPE for a kill..........

A miss is safer with a .20 grain pellet. Plus it's cheap to shoot a tin of pellets. On rainy days you can shoot indoors and get your trigger fix. When I can't shoot long range and don't want to drive to the outdoor range, I shoot indoors or from home to garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz3kZelPzWs&feature=related

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Get a good cat. I've yet to see any mice or chipmunks around my place but every couple of weeks or so my cat will bring one in. A good cat is death on rodents.

That being said, waiting for a cat to bring them in isn't nearly as fun as shooting them yourself. For those black birds that hang around my bird feeders I use .22 CB I shoot them out of my son's Chipmunk. It is a single shot bolt action .22 made for young people. LINK

Here is a very good discussion on subsonic ammo on another forum. LINK

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Good Luck

We have rabbits all over my developement that eat everything and there's nothing that'll make them go away - there's far too many of them.

My husband has a really really old pump BB (steal) gun and believe me, only about 6 pumps and a shot to the head kills 'em.

Honestly - I'd stay will BB or pellet guns. Keep it legal & keep it safe. The best way to piss of your neighbors (and local police) would be to shoot real ammo in your area.

We have a arsenal of airsoft guns around the house but they stay indoors. Although, our closest neighbors know about it - everyone else would probably get freaked out because these guns look soooo very real.

5. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I would just use a bow with a judo tip. That proved to work great in my backyard over the weekend for these peskey squirels that keep digging up my garden and tearing up my bird feeders.
    Plus it is pretty challenging so it is good practice for deer season.

6. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts

Bryan - and some other posters - are correct. The subsonic will jam a semi. Go with a good single shot bolt action. I use a pellet gun (CO2) with 600 fps with scope which is powerful enough to kill rabbits, etc. at 30-40 ft. But it is WAY too load. The subsonic really doesn't travel faster than a pellet, it just has a lot more mass and inertia: take down force. I plan to get a snigle shot bolt action myself. I have Deer, beaver, rabbits, squirrels, possum, skunks, chipmunks and raccoons.

7. Jun 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some pneumatic airguns are loud. It's rushing air that goes through and not the crack of the bullet.

But many have built in shrouds with silencers. Thesea are legal. They are legal because it's not on a firearm and not removeable to put on one.

I have an Air Arms S 410 with an integrated shroud and its' quiet. Plus the option to screw in aftermarket supressors, which if you lock tite in, are permanent, thus non transferrable and still merely on an airgun.

Do not use steel BB's, sorry Janster, I know they work, but are very frowned upon in the airgunning world. They don't expand and ricochet. Some have hit me near the eye. Some bad kills with BB's as they don't deposit much of their energy and are like a lazer hole. Pellet leave a good would cavity and cause faster kills.

These are pics of a friend's two mufflers for the Air Arms S420 .22 cal. That will be sold soon.

[​IMG]

8. Jun 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Judo points rock! i used to shoot pop cans all the time with them in the yard when i couldn't afford a real target.

9. Jun 1, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
  10. Jun 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Ditto on any steel shot....I've wounded way too many ducks and geese with them. Steel pellets and BB's have no kinetic mass energy and more likley to wound than kill.

11. Jun 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

Quietest shourded airguns are not the Gamo. In fact, Gamo is considered very low end. Almost junk. Plastic internals, low quality barrels.

Good airguns are Air Arms, Talon, Theoben, BSA, Daystate, Air Force, Beeman etc.........Many of these have Lothar Walther barrels. Most German, English and Swedish made.

http://www.straightshooters.com/

12. Jun 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Well maybe they need to change the name to the Gamo Yell then . . . . I've never messed with any of them. I just think it's neat that an air rifle can take down a boar.:eek:

13. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    My Gamo Nitro 17 is loud as heck! That thing is almost as bad a my Ruger 10/.22! Nice power and enough to take down anything small in it's path. :D

14. Jun 2, 2009 at 2:17 AM
    InFaMoUs OutKaSt

InFaMoUs OutKaSt Active Member

Member:
    Long Beach Bitch
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    3/4 drop
    just get a Diana RWS 34 Breakbarrel Rifle you will be happy thas what i have

15. Jun 2, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

That's good, and so are the Beeman R7 and R9. Lots of tuners out there that make them quieter and smooth to cock and shoot.

Products Discussed in

To Top