1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket speakers stock head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by btipsword, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I added basic coax 6x9 Alpines to my front doors. Mids and highs sounded fine but there was literally no bass. I basically ran the rear door speakers alone for 6 months before my wife bought me a media receiver for my birthday. The speakers sound great with the new receiver.

So, no - unfortunately you won't have great results with only speaker replacement. I have wondered if you bought a little 2-channel amp for $60 or so, if you could wire it into the stock HU and drive a couple speakers up front. That might be an option if you're dead set against a new head unit.

2. Feb 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Amp would be an option, but..you'd have to buy the line-in converter for the RCA's. To spend that much plus the hassle of pulling it apart you're better to just buy a $200 aftermarket head unit.

That and the amp will sound better IMO on a quality aftermarket than a stocker. I did that years ago with my Camaro and learned quickly about this.

Think too that a lot of the aftermarkets will probably push 25-40 watts a channel. At $60 for an amp you're getting about the same output.

3. Feb 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Why not consider an aftermarket HU? Sorry if I missed why in the posts before...

Below is a picture of how clean and acceptable a nice single DIN can look if you're worried about it looking like a hackjob. Since I installed the Pioneer DEH-80prs i have been very happy with the sound coming from the stock speakers. I am an audiophile by trade so the source was important to me, I may upgrade speakers later but for now the sound is definitely acceptable... Also below is a picture of what the install looks like in the scosche kit. The DEH-80prs will run you 280 ish from Amazon. Best single din head unit for the money IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top