1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Power Outlet Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rickson34, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    rickson34

rickson34 [OP] Member

Member:
    DFW, TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner SR5
    Hey guys,

I've got a question for ya. I have been using the power outlet of my 2005 Tacoma to run a very small 2 gallon air compressor. Here is a link:

I have connected the compressor to the power outlet around 15 times without any problems (even though the tacoma is rated at 115v and the compressor is at 120v). I usually just keep the truck off when the compressor is on. This past Saturday, it was especially hot and I ran the compressor around three cycles. After the third cycle, the compressor would stop working. It seems to me that the Tacoma power supply was getting cut off. I tried connecting a dewalt reciprocating saw. You could tell that it didn't have the same power as before but the truck still turns on fine.

I need to run this compressor for my job. I don't want to invest in a generator. Would should I do to fix the problem? Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sounds like its just a little too much for the inverter. The OEM inverter has a MAX of 400 watts.....

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    The compressor from your link takes 2 A at 120 V, or 240 W. The inverter should be able to power this device continuously, however I believe it is spec'd when the engine is at idle (not off). I don't think the heat signifcantly reduced the inverter's ability to supply power; my guess is that your battery was infact drained.

Don't worry about 115 V vs 120 V, in the world of power it is simply nomenclature, both referring to the RMS voltage from line to neutral on a 3-Phase WYE system. 115 V is often used to account for the voltage drop from the source to the load.

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Throw a 100% duty cycle On Board Air System on the truck??

5. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Good post, and Welcome to TW!

6. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    According to this website, it has a peak hp of 1hp. In watts thats around 750 watts. Too much for our inverters.

http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/...car_care_air_compressors/fp204800rb_spec.html

7. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    rickson34

rickson34 [OP] Member

Member:
    DFW, TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner SR5
    So, if the battery is drained, should I just recharge over night? What I don't understand is, why was the truck still able to turn on?

The next time I run this compressor, do I just need to make sure and turn the truck on and everything will be okay?

Thanks for having me!

8. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Nice power conversion. Power ratings of components are based on average power, not peak power. A peak power of 750 Wwith an average power of 240 W results in a crest factor of about 3, which is not excessive; the inverter should be able to power this compressor all day long, along with a radio.

It is hard to come up with an exact answer not being present at the time, but my guess is perhaps the truck monitors the battery voltage for some low limit, and shuts the power inverter down when the battery reaches this value. This way you can still start the vehicle.

I can not say for sure that having the engine off was your problem, but based on the info provided is my best guess. Try it next time with the engine at idle, and see. Your MPG is going to plummet, BTW.

9. Jun 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Peoria
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 4x4 AT
    Stock for now
    You may want to think about getting a generator. Most power tools will be too much for these inverters. I got Honda 2000i genrator and it works great and super quiet. We use it a lot for tailgating but it's mostly for work. You can go a cheaper route and get a Coleman gen. at Home Depot for about $350.00. I had one from there and the first time I started it up it ran for about 15 min. and never started again. The oil was low but the guy at HD said it comes ready out of the box. I checked it myself but the stick is so short it takes a small drop for it to read correctly but seemed to be a decent gen. I got a full refund and got the Honda.

10. Jun 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    rickson34

rickson34 [OP] Member

Member:
    DFW, TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner SR5
  11. Jun 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    rickson34

rickson34 [OP] Member

Member:
    DFW, TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner SR5
    Here is a photo I took last Saturday:

[​IMG]

12. Jun 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    You could be right, but I'd have reservations knowing its a compressor and not a radio. Considering our inverters are good for 400w max, even at 50% load from the compressor, thats still over 350w hitting close to the high mark on the inverter. At some point its going to fizzle out over time from excessive heat. Based on his regular use, he's bound to hit that wall a lot sooner than most. It might be better advised to invest into a small generator and save the truck for emergency use when gas runs out. Just my 2 cents.

13. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    92yotapu

92yotapu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    92 toyota pickup 4x4
    32in tires, blacked out rims grill and door handles
    Ok sweet I just remember some one mentioning about tuning them I forget to ask about it
    Im going to focus on building my rig before I worry about the good toys

Products Discussed in

To Top