1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo Capacity in question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by posttogoogle, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    posttogoogle

posttogoogle [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered here. I could not find anything on it. I just bought a 2013 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab with TRD offroad package. The brochure for the 2013 models says that my truck should have a "payload" capacity of 1450 lbs. I noticed the other day that the sticker with the official capacities (GVWR, GVAWR, Tire pressures, etc...) says that my "cargo" capacity is 1150 lbs. To the best of my knowledge, payload capacity and cargo capacity are different words for the same thing. So I am scratching my head as to why the official sticker on my truck is 300 lbs less than the brochure. Surely the TRD offroad package doesn't add that much weight to the truck. I do have the yellow sticker advising me that the cargo capacity is reduced by 2 lbs due to options that have been added. 2 lbs is not 300. 1150 isn't that much. My RAV4 has over 900 lbs cargo capacity.

The missing 300 lbs becomes important when I consider towing my popup camper and carrying 4 people. My camper only weighs 2500 lbs so you would think weight wouldn't be an issue. However, 4 folks plus the tongue weight of the camper, 250 lbs, only leaves around 240 lbs for luggage, cooler, or any gear we want to carry which isn't enough. With the number in the brochure, I still have between 200 and 300 lbs of capacity left.

As you can imagine, I am not too happy about this discovery. Is this unique to the TRD Offroad package? Is that why the capacity on the individual truck is reduced?

Thanks,

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Not the TRD Offroad...

Maybe it's taking into consideration fuel and driver. That would be about 300lbs...

Photo of sticker?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Just kidding...mine says 1050lbs

Honestly, IDK, but here's my guess...

Access cab weighs less...those initial numbers in the brochure are prob for the access cab. It's the same suspension, to taking into consideration the 300 additional pounds that the double cab weighs over the access cab, that's what you're seeing. The longer bed of my DCLB over your DCSB would account for the additional 100lbs less for me...

Not really an issue, as I've already put over 1k in my bed with a truck full of people and didn't have a worry in the world.

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    the 4x4 also makes a difference in what it's rated for.

OP, i wouldn't worry about being a couple hundred lbs over, these are beefy trucks.

5. Feb 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    posttogoogle

posttogoogle [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I attached the brochure numbers and my sticker. I am using the payload for the Prerunner double cab short bed V6. What does your sticker on the drivers door jam say?

tacoma_capacity.jpg
    brochure_capacity.jpg

6. Feb 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    posttogoogle

posttogoogle [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok. Dan, I see where you posted what is on your sticker and it looks like the sticker is less than the brochure in your case too. I guess I won't worry about it. I would love to hear Toyota's explanation as to why the sticker on the truck is 300 lbs less than the brochure they use when you are considering buying the truck. I didn't think to look at the sticker on the truck. I just assumed it would be the same as the brochure.

Thanks all.

7. Feb 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Also, something to check...do you have a three leaf pack on the rear, or a four leaf pack? Below is a picture of my 2011 TRD OffRoad with the 3 leaf pack and about 1k lbs of wet red mulch in the bed...drove fine and handled it great. Looking back, I can see that it sagged a bit more than my 4leaf pack does now...

If you want the 4 leaf, it's a TSB from toyota...they install it for free under your 3/36 bumper to bumper.

[​IMG]

8. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    posttogoogle

posttogoogle [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 leaf. Do you have the TSB number for 2013?

9. Feb 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Not for the 2013's yet, but they just amend the old TSB number to include the newest model years. Tell the dealer that your truck has a harsh ride while towing and riding with loads in the bed. Tell them that the rear hits the bump stops with any amount of weight in the bed...

There's a sticky in the 2nd Gen section that had the TSB # list. Check it out...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/7107-tsb-list-2005-toyota-tacoma.html

Products Discussed in

To Top