1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Under 8000mi. Clutch slipping

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jeffs1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Feb 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    jeffs1

jeffs1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    N.J.U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg. Cab
    Well bought 2013 Tacoma on 12-31-2012.Clutch started slipping just after 1st oil change.Seems like mostly slipps in cold ambient temps 30 or lower.It does it consistently in 4th gear acclerating on to the highway. any help dealer cant confirm.

2. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV[​IMG]

3. Feb 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    when i had this issue with my reg cab i ended up leaving it next door to the dealership over night, (didn't want to leave it there cause they would need keys and would have no doubth warmed it up) started it up in the morning, didn't let it warm up at all, got service manager to come for a ride and was able to demonstrate the slipping issue, the clutch was then replaced under powertrain warranty as defective. defective is a term they seem to work with. toyota for some reason still uses two brands of clutches, luk & aisin, the luk is the slippy pos, mine was replaced with an aisin and no problems since. if you dig around you will find that this is a known issue to toyota, even though i don't believe they ever released a tsb for it. does yours stop slipping after doing it 2-3 times and warming up? that's what mine did which made it tough to demonstrate then have the dealer drive it, this ends up being a 2 step/2 morning process. make sure you address this right away while still cold at night!

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    tommymoe

tommymoe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Off Road
    TRD Exhaust, K&N, Access Cover, Yaesu FT-7900R
    I have to assume that you have the 4 cylinder. For previous year 4 cylinder trucks with a standard transmission, Toyota did acknowledge the problem with a TSB. If you have the V6, you may have a different issue. My 2009 Access Cab started to show signs of slipping under load at about 15k. I made several trips to dealer. They never saw the problem, and it just got worse.

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-tsb-5-speed-manual-clutch-disk-defect/

As bzzr2 suggests, it is best to demonstrate this in a test drive where you show them the condition. In my case, it did it more when warm than cold. I asked one of the techs that looked at it before to come out for a ride. I demonstrated the problem on a hill in 4th gear, and the tech said he would write it up against the TSB and have it replaced under warranty.

That was at >30k. It took me 15,000 miles of slipping (and squeaky clutch pedal parts) to finally get it fixed before my warranty ran out.

5. May 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    Hawaii22tacoma

Hawaii22tacoma New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma 6spd. Double cab
    I have too had problems with my 2012 v6 6spd clutch, mainly sliping and smoking in 4x4 or in reverse. I am now having to pay for a new clutch (over 1,100$) and to have my flywheel resurfaced (100$) due to the wear in 12,000 short miles. The dealer is not willing to warranty it calling it a "wear and tear" item that is not covered under the warranty. I feel like I am getting screwed and there seems to be nothing I can do about it! And the worst thing is that I have to replace with OEM parts and feel like it is bound to happen again, Im not sure if the parts are Japan or Mexico....:mad:

6. May 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Welcome

Products Discussed in

To Top