1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel line repair

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by That Dude Tim, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim [OP] Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Okay so before I get flamed for this the issue isn't for my Tacoma but my dad's 98 Ranger. Either way the repair aspect for it can still apply for the most part. In a nutshell I need to know if it is okay to use this type of Dorman plastic fuel line connector with fuel injection rated fuel hose. I know it says for Nylon fuel lines but can they still be used in a rubber hose with fuel line clamps? Or with they break when clamped on? They have to be fairly durable because the Nylon line is forced on over the barbs.

These are the Dorman connectors I'm talking about

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r-adapter/_/N-26cq?itemIdentifier=839127_0_0_

Now for the reason for the repair.

My dad finally decided to replace his fuel filter on his 98 Ford Ranger with over 190,000 miles. So yes original filter even though rec. replacement is 30,000. Well at this time Ford used a shitty type of metal "quick" connect on either side of the filter for replacement. His are rusted to the stub lines on the filter. After 2 hrs of trying to to get them free using the tools and W-40 he cut the fuel lines on either side at the stainless hard lines. So today we went to NAPA and got some Fuel Injection rated fuel line 5/16 and the special clamps. He wants to use the plastic replacement quick connects if possible. I have no clue because this is my first time ever repairing a fuel line. So far all we bought was one of these because it will work too.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-12...e=UTF8&qid=1362009470&sr=1-4&keywords=800-120

Anybody with fuel line repair experience is appreciated. Oh and buying the factory lines is out of the question so don't bother.

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ive only ever used factory linesw, unles on a carbed engine. Sorry I cant be of help.

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    They are designate for nylon fuel lines because in many cases you slip the barbed end into the nylon line, and then use a hair dryer to heat the nylon line, allowing it to form fit better. Can they be used in a fuel rated rubber line with clamps? Technically, yes. Personally I don't like to use clamps of any kind on a fuel line. There is always the risk of a clamp loosening over time, and the last thing you want is a fuel leak. That being said, am I to understand that your dad's truck has nylon lines with the quick connect fittings that snapped into the metal fuel filter? If that is the case, you should be able to use the Dorman nylon repair fittings on the original lines if he did not cut too much off of them. Any chance you can take some photos?

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    That Dude Tim

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    No his Ranger does not have the newer Nylon fuel lines, just the stainless steel hard lines.

5. Feb 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    That is going to be a challenge to do a good and proper repair. Maybe check with the parts store to see if they have a repair kit for the metal lines. While you can use rubber fuel lines in a pinch, I never recommend using them as a permanent repair.

6. Feb 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    That Dude Tim

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Yeah they didn't have any compression fittings for going from steel hard line to nylon. All the local stores have line repair kits for nylon lines. More than likely this will become the "permanent" repair because this truck isn't in the best of shape. If this holds together with this repair for 2-3 years that will be plenty. The plan is to lift up and move the bed back to access the rear section of fuel line to the hardline there. Then push on the 5/16 rubber line on for about 4 inches and use 2-3 fuel line clamps. On the other side of that section at the filter use one clamp because whatever replacement quick connect we use has either a flare or barbs on it. Then on the front section like the rear, slip the rubber hose about 4 inches over the hardline with another 2-3 clamps and another at the quick connect.

7. Mar 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    My suggestion would be on the hard lines to make a simple flare to slip the hose over, then add the clamps. That will decrease the risk of a hose coming loose eventually. Good luck!

8. Mar 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    That Dude Tim

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully Saturday we have this all done. Had to order 3 of the six bed bolts from Ford because 3 snapped off halfway in the stem due ti excessive corrosion. Also O'Reilys had to order those all plastic 5/16 fuel line quick connects. Will take some pics when performing repair.

Products Discussed in

To Top