1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

San Francisco "any places to go off roading"

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Txbaja, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Txbaja

Txbaja [OP] Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD TX Baja Series
    I'm currently working in SF Bay Area and was wondering if there are any place close by to go 4 wheeling? Please let me know if you do

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    North bay there's a slightly illegal spot at the 101 and highway 37 junction. If you want legal you'll need to head up to the Ukiah area and visit Cow mountain or Lake Pillsbury.

East bay/south bay you'll need to to drive about an hour to hit Hollister hills SVRA, or Frank Raines SVRA.

Adrian.mendez0 likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Let's skip the slightly illegal suggestions next time, eh??

Anderson likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    707tothe907

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    It's not posted as private property. I've been stopped by cops there before and they nicely ask us to leave but have admitted that they cannot make us leave. It's a sweet little spot that dirt bikers and offroaders can be found at on a daily basis. It's just unclaimed property - which makes it slightly illegal. But thanks for getting unnecessarily involved.

Aww Boo likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There is no such thing as slightly illegal. If they told you they'd like you to leave but can't make you sounds like it's not really illegal.

And if you take a look at the CoC and since you've been around a while - you'll notice that we are against illegal activity and all for responsible offroading. Wheeling spots that are even questionable make trouble for legit offroaders...so your illegal comment started the problem, not me showing up.

Anderson likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    Txbaja

Txbaja [OP] Member

Member:
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD TX Baja Series
    Thank you for the information!

7. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unfortunately, sanctioned off road areas in the bay area are few and far between, Hollister Hills is probably the biggest and most popular around here, Fraink Raines is smaller but also gets used. The other main options involve driving up to the sierras to enjoy.

Subscrib to the NorCal BS thread on this site because ideas for get togethers and wheelin/campin trips usually start in that thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/northern-california/53517-norcal-spotted-bs-thread.html

We have a big meet this Friday in Dublin if you'd like to come out and meet a whole bunch of us, check out a whole bunch of trucks and grab a tasty burger: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/no...ng-norcal-lets-have-meet-greet-march-8th.html

8. Mar 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    EDJY

EDJY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    I always called that 37 101 junction Hanna Ranch. I grew up very close to it. It doesn't offer much in the way of a challenge, haha. I get up everything in my prerunner no problem.
    It used to be cool back in the day when there were dirt jumps for bmx bikes. Some kid hurt himself and all the jumps were bulldozed.

9. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
  10. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    I have been there several times and only once have I been asked to leave but I've never seen the local PD confronting dirt bikers or ATVs

11. Mar 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    giantsfan

giantsfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Marin County, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Limited 4Runner
    Deckplate Mod, Satoshi Mod, Baja Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, Nokya 7000k Headlights.
    Ya its a pretty fun place if your just looking to mess around and not have much of a challenge. When it rains there's lots of mud to play in. If you go in the back there are some more challenging hills, but there still pretty easy.

12. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd

Is this an actual trail or open land? Because if it's open land, I always thought it was not a good idea to go ripping through mud due to damage to wildlife (plants and little beings) Mud on a trail is a different story?

I was always taught to stick to the trail.

13. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    giantsfan

giantsfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Marin County, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Limited 4Runner
    Deckplate Mod, Satoshi Mod, Baja Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, Nokya 7000k Headlights.
    There's trails so it's not like you'd be going through the grass. It just has a land for lease sign up there, but that sign has been up for almost 10 years or more

14. Oct 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    johnnyfedor777

johnnyfedor777 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    04 Wrangler TJ
    5" lift, 35" Toyos
    Can someone give me directions to the 101/37 spot (aka Hanna Ranch?) ?? Thanks!

15. Oct 14, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    Jrobb

Jrobb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Lb SR5 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Pretty easy to find. Open Goole maps. Look at Hwy 101 and 37 junction. Put on Satellite view and figure out where the entrance is.

Hint: Put street view on the North side of the property.

J

16. Dec 25, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    emonomics

emonomics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emerson
    SF Bay, Denver, ABQ, and everywhere in between
    Vehicle:
    Cement Truck
    TRD sunshade, mud flaps, replaced stereo knobs
    Anyone know if this 101/37 spot is still accessible? I see the last post was well over a year ago. Thanks!

17. Dec 25, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    707tothe907

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    It’s not. Lotta construction - Looks like it’s starting to get developed.

18. Dec 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    Carnegie is cool place to practice

Otherwise, it holister and frank Raines.

If you’re will travel outside of the bay the there are more places in the Central Valley and Sacramento area

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  19. Dec 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    emonomics

emonomics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emerson
    SF Bay, Denver, ABQ, and everywhere in between
    Vehicle:
    Cement Truck
    TRD sunshade, mud flaps, replaced stereo knobs
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, tough for this New Mexican boy who grew up practically able to go anywhere. Will have to come to some of the meet-ups, at least when the rig gets brought up to credible standards for you fellas (and fellettes) ;-)

I am glad to hear Carnegie allows cars (trucks) as I wasn't sure if they were only for 4wheelers and bikes and such.

We have sites at Pismo next weekend, and thankfully have some close friends up in Tuolumne County that I like to visit. Sounds like Indian Valley Res, Mendo, etc etc etc and clearly...summer will have to entail a road trip back home!

20. Dec 25, 2018 at 9:46 PM
    Kamille.bidan

Kamille.bidan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue TRD OR MT
    Carnigie is a small obstacle course for 4x4. 99% of the rest of the park is for motorcycle, and small 4wheelers

Products Discussed in

To Top