1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AV gurus, help with GROM adapter please

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacosupreme54, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    So I have finally decided to stop messing with the FM transmitters and hook up my phone to my truck. I have an '06 JBL and I use my Android phone pretty much daily with apps like Pandora or iHeartradio. I do have an iPod, but I rarely use it. I have narrowed it down to either: http://gromaudio.com/store/android_adapters/toyota_lexus_scion_1998-2012_usb_android_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html
    or:
    http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapters/clearance__toyota_lexus_scion_auxiliary_interface_adapter.html
    I'm no tech guru, but from what I've read on these two is that basically the first one allows me to run my Android phone audio through the stock system, control it via the stock controls, and have it be charging as well. Whereas, the second one basically gives me an auxiliary hookup that I can run by selecting AUX on my truck and that's about it. The first one is about $100 and the 2nd one is about $50. I have the money for either, but don't want to waste my money on one that has more options than I need. I mean have a phone charger in my truck already. It also sounds kind of confusing to actually use the first one vs. the 2nd one. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm also just considering buying a cheap headunit with an av cable and making it easy...but then again, I like my factory head unit lol

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'd say get a cheap HU as it will still sound better than the stock HU.

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/USA-BT35-TOY-Handsfree-Bluetooth-Adapter/dp/B007MV8UMA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

You won't be tied to a single standard connector if you ever decided to switch from android to iphone or if android ever decides to change their connection, it connects automatically when you get into the car so you don't even have to take it out of your pocket, and if you want to charge you said you already have a charger.

I have one of these that replaced the OEM ipod integration system and I was surprised that it actually sounded better. I have hear that some people have had trouble with sound quality with it and it seems to vary by phone manufacture but it has worked very well for me with both my iphone 5 and iphone 3gs as well as my Nexus 7.

+ you can also answer calls with it and Navigation directions will be given through bluetooth as well (on most phones) over faded out music playing.

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    Do adapters cause you to lose any sound quality? I mean with a direct hookup to the headunit (which basically treats the adapter as a factory part when the connection is made), it should be a pretty good hookup as long as the audio cable is of good quality...right?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. Mar 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Also, when running the cable to directly connect with your phone, where did you guys run it out at? And also, when you drill a hole for the cable to come out into your truck, how would you make it to where the hole is not too big? I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you actually have the cable installed the hole will not fit snug on the wire because you have to drill a hole big enough for the thicker (male end, plug) of the cable to fit through

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top