1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma(to me) wheel bearing?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by baseballfan5566, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Mixednuts

Mixednuts Ride it like ya' stole it

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Toms River NJ
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Off Road
    I have air tools here at home so it wasn't too hard but it's going to be tough by hand. Remember the torque spec is over 170 ft.lbs of torque. Always use a breaker bar to loosen tight fasteners. The torque wrench is only to tighten. If you can have some one step on the brake pedal for you provided the caliper is still on the rotor. If not you'll have to loosen the nut but putting the wheel back (no center cap) on and lowering your truck to put some weight on the tire to prevent it from spinning or reinstall the caliper and have someone step on the brake pedal. Up to you. If you choose to put the wheel back on I would snug up the 4 mounting bolts.

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    baseballfan5566

baseballfan5566 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got it off eventually. I put the truck in 4 wheel drive which locked the front axle. ( the pass side of the truck was still on the ground so the other tire up front didn't move. I'm now working on getting the hub off that's the last thing I have to do before pressing the new bearing

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    Mixednuts

Mixednuts Ride it like ya' stole it

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Toms River NJ
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Off Road
    Sounds good.

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    baseballfan5566

Member:
    So, after getting a breaker bar for the axle nut from my brother, that got it from the ware lab here at school that he has access to, I finally got it off. After that, prying the hub off wasn't too bad. Then we went to the ware lab where the engineering students work on their baja cars and formula cars, ect. I wasn't really supposed to be in there lol. But we finally found a way to support the hub to press out the bearing assembly.(in the pic) It took about 15 tons to get it out(50 ton machine) which is a lot. Then we had to cut out the inner race with a die grinder becasue it was stuck on the hub. After that we basically pressed the new hub in and called it a day. I put it on the truck and it seems like all noises are gone! ...for now.

FUTURE REFERENCE: After all it was the driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced after I noticed humming(knew it was from up front). The humming went away when I put weight on the left side of the truck..aka turning right. Contrary to belief it wasn't the passenger side(learned this from another members mistake)

After all said and done( I was rushing because I had HW due at midnight) I forgot to put the break shield on. And I also couldn't get the axle nut conver/dust shield on. I need to do it in the light with a heaver hammer. Heres a pic I got when we were about to press it out.

Pressing out the hub. Had to rig something up, it was kind of hard to figure out a safe way to support the whole rig.
    9k16qs_e982b0fe3c665817afc9105fe7e41bd0fbdd0c15.jpg

5. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    baseballfan5566

Member:
    Sorry the pic is sideways

6. Mar 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Haha lmao I totally forgot to put the break shield on the first time I did my drivers bearing. Had the tire back on and everything. I kind of bent it in a fit of happiness :rolleyes:, so when I finally got it back on the damn thing would rub against the rotor and make a hell of a sound.

Glad you got it all worked out.

7. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    X2, I also forgot to put on my break shield the first time I put my entire wheel assembly back together. Couldn't believe it as I sat there satisfied of the job and turned around to find that fucker sitting on the ground.

Glad it worked out for you buddy! Mine is on to and shes running super smooth . Take care!

8. Mar 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    baseballfan5566

Member:
    It's the worst feeling! But thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Products Discussed in

To Top