1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painted Rims Picture Request

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Soft Taco, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Soft Taco

Soft Taco [OP] For Love of Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 4WD Auto DCLB TRD Sport
    I'm thinking about saving a few dollars if painting the stock 16"s will look good. How do these look in black? Or... how much can I sell a brand new set for?

[​IMG]

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    hualampeter

hualampeter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Chester, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Fox 3" Lift, Total Chaos UCA, and Wheelers Bumps.
    You can get FJ TRD center caps and fabricate them to fit in your rims. Also, use Dupli-Color wheel paint! Its the best! be careful painting it and don't rush it or you will suffer ugly bubbles or paint will have a dripping appearance when dry.

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    We plati dipped my friend's rims that are just like yours. We spent about $20 on the plasti dip and they are holding up more than decent and he is happy with them so far. If youre trying to sell your rims, I would say you could get about 425 at least. Sell it and go buy the FJ trail team rims that are already black!

4. Mar 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    A question (guess couple questions) for the folks doing plasti-dip.. What type of prep-work is involved? Are you scuffing up the clear coat before application or are you just using a degreaser cleaner then applying? Also, when you peel off the plastidip, is there ever any type of damage or contamination from a chemical reaction to the normal painted surface underneith that the plastidip is adhered to? And if you painting with the tires still mounted, does the balance get thrown off or changed since the weight of the wheels is changing (ie. is it suggested to get a rebalancing done)? These technical concerns are whats keeping me from using plastidip.

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Foxone

Foxone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Heres mine in sig with duplicolor black. I did my 07 awhile back and its still running around town looking good.

6. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    I took my rims off the truck and washed them down with soap and water. Then after letting them dry you can mask off any area you dont want dipped. Then I put index cards around the rim so i wont over spray on my tires (optional since you can just scrape it off anyways. I did it to avoid more work)Then I just started spraying with the dip,about 3-5 coats depending on what you want. You dont have to sand it and if you dont like it,peel it off and it will be just like before your project. Easy to do. As far as balancing goes,you only need to rebalance them if you took the weights off to dip your rims. Adding even 10 coats of dip wont affect the balance since the machine measures force for and vibrations.(Im a tire tech) Youll be fine with plasti dip

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top