1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange noise and vibrations

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BARTRD, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    BARTRD

BARTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    Just had 5100 installed, set a 1.75. Also icon AAL for 1.5-2" lift in rear. I've noticed that when it is cold outside and the truck has been sitting for a few hours that it'll make a loud metallic sound when I turn. It only does it once and then I guess it's warmed up or something, I've yet to be able to make it happen 2 times in a row. My first thought is pwr steering. I've checked the fluid level and it's dead on whether hot or cold. The steering doesn't feel off, it's not heavy to turn or anything.

Next issue is vibration. Only at 25 mph and it doesn't matter if its under load or not. Either coasting or accelerating it is always consistent at 23-26 mph.

What are y'all's thoughts?

2. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    Oh, and the noise only occurs on sharp turns when wheel is at full lock

3. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Did the sound start after the lift? Does it make the noise at any point while turning or only when turned completely to one side or the other?

4. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    You answered before I posted. I haven't checked my truck, but I know on the older Toyota trucks they had turn stops that when full locked to one side it would make a horrible noise because the stops would scrape. I'll have to look at my truck and see if they still use that method.

5. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Mine made a clunking type sound after my lift. Turns out I ruptured one of the bags for the linkage arms for the sway bar. Removed sway bar and no more sounds.

6. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Yes it started a few days after the lift. And the sound isn't a clunk. It's like I'm dragging metal on metal and it's incredibly loud. It has only done it when it's cold outside, at least in the 40s or lower...

7. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    So it looks like they still use the turn stops. Here is a photo. Check yours out and see if they look like they have scrape marks. If they do this could be your noise.

[​IMG]

8. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Thanks. I'll run out and check it in a little bit. But if it was the turn stops would it only do it once? Wouldn't hit occur every time I turned the wheel to full lock? I've yet to be able to duplicate it 2 times back to back and that's what makes this so frustrating

9. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I think it depends on whether there is any suspension travel while turning. Another words the stops have to rub up and down against each other to make the noise. Ive only experienced this once that i can recall on this truck which was actually a few days ago. While I was down taking a picture I noticed my driver side one had scrape marks on it.
    Maybe try taking it to a really bumpy area where you will get some decent up and down action. Turn it full lock and drive in slow circles and see if it makes the same noise.

10. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Ok I'll do that. I tried to get a picture of the stops:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363358670.736252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363358699.048029.jpg

Looks like some slight rubbing on them maybe?

11. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I would say so. If that's what your noise is its not a problem. It just sounds horrible. The older trucks used a bolt type stop and the sound was much more pronounced and happened every time.

12. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    The sound is more like if you ran you brakes all the way down and had the pad backing grinding directly in the rotor. But my brakes are just fine. Hmmm......

13. Mar 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Ok I have an update. I no longer have to have to steering wheel at full like to hear the noise. I'm still having a hard time duplicating it consistently. I seems to happen most often when I'm going up or down hill, or there is some sort of flex in the body while I'm turning. And the truck has to be In motion. This is aggregating the crap out of me...

14. Mar 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Astraa70

Astraa70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4X4 TRD DC
    Full OME suspension, ARB Bull Bar, Grey Wire mod, Rear diff breather mod, TG Sliders, Pro, Plasti-dipped all chrome Comp 7069, 285/75/16 Trail Grapplers Cobra 25, Ultragauge, axle relocation brackets,
    Check the "carrier" or center bearing that connects the two drive shafts. The design is not very good and have the same issue on my past two Tacomas. The sound is almost like a tire chirping or a dry bearing metal to metal sqeal. If the rubber around the bearing is worn or dry rotted, it is probably your problem. This is also common after a lift as it changes the angle of the drive shaft. Check for play in the bearing as well.

15. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Would it really be that loud though? It does make crazy metal on metal scraping sound and it's crazy loud.

16. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Would it really be that loud though? It does make crazy metal on metal scraping sound and it's crazy loud. I'll try to find a way to get a sound clip of it and post on here

17. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Astraa70

Astraa70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4X4 TRD DC
    Full OME suspension, ARB Bull Bar, Grey Wire mod, Rear diff breather mod, TG Sliders, Pro, Plasti-dipped all chrome Comp 7069, 285/75/16 Trail Grapplers Cobra 25, Ultragauge, axle relocation brackets,
    Yes, Mine have been loud...loud enough to be embarrssed with other drivers around. I know that they can hear it from inside thier vehicles.

18. Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    The sound seems to be coming from the front though. The CB is more towards the back. I haven't ruled out CB, just haven't been able to get under the truck and look yet

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    BARTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Noise has been isolated. I finally had time to get under the truck a d poke around. The driver side backing plate has a small pry bar dimple in it causing it to rub in the rotor from time to time.

Products Discussed in

To Top