1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this noise wheel bearings??? (video)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mchattod, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    mchattod

mchattod [OP] Member

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4WD, Auto
  2. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i browsed through ur other post, I thought u said you ruled out wheel bearing? I didn't really hear anything in ur video in addition to the road noise, and my ear is def untrained, but i've heard with bearings u can get like a hovercraft hum, and when mine finally went out, at low speeds it sounded like scraping metal, and it looks like you tested it for play in your other post, anyways, best of luck

3. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    just read your other post again, sounded like you had rumbling noise at bearing?

4. Mar 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    mchattod

mchattod [OP] Member

Member:
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4WD, Auto
    My video quality sucks. You have to crank the volume to hear. In the cab, it's really loud. Definitely a hum. Maybe I haven't reached the metallic sound, yet.

On jack stands, spinning you can hear a rumbling noise at the differential but, I think it's just normal gear noise. Nothing noticeable at the wheel bearing side. I'm wondering if you have to load the bearing (weight of vehicle) to force it to make noise.

5. May 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    podo74

podo74 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCAB
    I am noticing the same scenario. After doing the recon, i have decided to charge the wheel bearing! got the same noise when I drive however it is more noticeable at 30mph and 60mph. Got the diff noise when i jack it too(ha ha). That was kind of a curve ball which had me rethinking it all. The sound disappears on left turns leading me to believe frt drvs side bearing, with the whole weight shift thing. I plan on tackling this thing next consecutive days off and going to post the outcome. Just bought the bearing and got the "press guy" lined up!

6. May 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Yup, that's your wheel bearing.... I had the same thing...could noticeably hear it at 30mph and 65mph..... Mine was the rear passenger side even though I thought it was the front

7. Jun 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    podo74

podo74 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCAB
    I have a road noise sound that disappears when turning left and is awful going straight or turning right especially at 30mph and 60mph. It's coming from the front. Everything I read is pointing to dvr side wheel bearing. Changed it and i still got it! WTF! What did I miss? My old bearing did show signs of wear(130k miles). Can someone try and point me in the right direction. Going to rotate tires for the hell of it. Had alignment a few months ago after changing my struts. I plan on posting my step-by-step and pics on the bearing change when i have time(my first "how to"). Wasn't all that hard with the right tools and a friend with a press(score)! So, if you're thinking about it...charge it! You can do it! Thx guys

8. Jun 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    podo74

podo74 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCAB
    Gen2taco posted a wheel bearing thread that might help. Going to change other side bearing and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top